Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Wiring Harness Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 01:54 AM
luftpirate
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is some total **** right there!
Old 11-06-2011, 12:07 PM
kombatrok
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Were you ever able to figure out what lengths of insulation you used?
Old 11-07-2011, 11:39 AM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Okay Post#8 is updated. I'll try to show the connector installations this week.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:08 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

That's most of it but I have a couple of tips based upon mistakes that I made. I crimped and soldered all of the pins, and highly recommend doing both for a good connection.

It sucks to have to remove pins from the wires, so do yourself a favor and put all of the seals and boots on before you do anything else. The dielectric grease makes them go on much easier.

I used a generic pair of crimpers instead of buying the correct one, but they worked fine. After crimping on the first pin, I found that it was impossible to make a good solder joint without tinning the wire first. I have quite a bit of experience soldering, and it was difficult even tinning the old wires. The solder just kept balling up and rolling off. The best way I found to do it was to set the soldering iron temp higher that I normally would- about 725F, and then hold the wire facing straight up. Then with the soldering iron tip on the end of the wire, I fed a lot of solder at the top, even though it melted and fell off. Eventually enough flux would soak the wire, and the solder would flow into the strands. The first picture shows that.

The second picture shows the generic crimpers, and pins ready for installing the connector.

Third picture- the pins need to be lined up with the "slots" in line to insert into the connector.

Last picture- be sure to to put grease on the wire and seal, or they won't push in all the way.

That's about it, happy connectorizing.
Attached Images     
Old 11-11-2011, 05:41 PM
kombatrok
Pro

Looks good! Seems like a great winter project.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:07 PM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work Kevin!

Originally Posted by kevincnc
I crimped and soldered all of the pins, and highly recommend doing both for a good connection.
A good connection yes, but with too much heat the wire insulation can melt back. Also if you allow the solder to travel back under the insulation, that part of the cable is now very stiff and is more likely to fracture with vibration/ movement. So I’d be careful to only tin the wire tip and prevent solder from wicking under the insulation.

The solder would not stick due to oxidation, so cleaning with a wire brush would reduce the amount of time and temperature required for a good tin.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:00 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys, I hope this helps someone.

Originally Posted by 951Saga
A good connection yes, but with too much heat the wire insulation can melt back. Also if you allow the solder to travel back under the insulation, that part of the cable is now very stiff and is more likely to fracture with vibration/ movement. So I’d be careful to only tin the wire tip and prevent solder from wicking under the insulation..
Good tip, I agree and have made that mistake with larger (new) wires in other applications.
Originally Posted by 951Saga
The solder would not stick due to oxidation, so cleaning with a wire brush would reduce the amount of time and temperature required for a good tin.
These were the most difficult wires I've ever soldered in my life. Even the ones that I cut back to where they were well protected were hard to solder. I did try scraping them with a razor blade, but even that didn't seem to break through the oxidation. In this case the higher heat made for less time, so the wire didn't get as hot farther from the end, and the solder didn't wick in very far. I tried lower temps and didn't have any luck. Some patience with a wire brush to get between the strands could help, but they're pretty delicate. I did have to strip the insulation short to allow for it to shrink back, but the solder didn't flow under the insulation past where the pins crimped over it.

This was probably about worst case- an '83 with 200K plus miles I think, so lots of age and heat. For anyone who has trouble soldering, I'd suggest starting with the worst looking wire and practicing on it to see how it goes. If it gets too short, you can always splice in a new wire. If anyone wants to see how to do a proper splice, no problem, and if anyone wants to post how yours went here, please feel free .
Old 11-12-2011, 04:15 AM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Soldering should not be necessary with the correct crimp and will increase the risk of wire fracture especially if the solder wicks any distance up the wire.

I have the crimper pictured and it's usually for d-sub connectors. I find the jaw to be too wide for a clean crimp with the terminals used. Sargent make a better one which I only paid around $20 for.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:57 AM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by s14kev
Soldering should not be necessary with the correct crimp and will increase the risk of wire fracture especially if the solder wicks any distance up the wire.
Maybe not, but without the correct crimper I couldn't be sure of a good connection. The pins insert pretty far into the connector, so I don't think the wires will flex anywhere near the solder. The ground lugs were soldered from the factory also.

Originally Posted by s14kev
I have the crimper pictured and it's usually for d-sub connectors. I find the jaw to be too wide for a clean crimp with the terminals used. Sargent make a better one which I only paid around $20 for.
There's no picture, can you post a link to the $20 crimpers? I've never seen any good ones that cheap.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:30 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kevincnc
Maybe not, but without the correct crimper I couldn't be sure of a good connection. The pins insert pretty far into the connector, so I don't think the wires will flex anywhere near the solder. The ground lugs were soldered from the factory also.

There's no picture, can you post a link to the $20 crimpers? I've never seen any good ones that cheap.
Sorry. I mean't that I also have the crimpers that are in you picture and that they are designed for d-sub terminals.

The crimpers that are more suitable are:

http://www.rostratool.com/itemdetail...mber=1026%20CT
Old 11-12-2011, 06:42 PM
coilbox
Instructor

Nice!

Where did you get the new connectors?
Old 11-12-2011, 09:27 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You can try these guys:

http://order.waytekwire.com/cgi-bin/...EBID(S0020):01
Old 11-13-2011, 12:51 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

944online.com has them also, but the kits are about 3X more than what we paid with JohnKoaWood's group buy.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:13 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

wow... $1000 for labor costs.. I can see that totally. Alot of work, but looks like a nice finished product.

I would love to see this car running sometime.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:40 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
I would love to see this car running sometime.
Oh, snap!

Quick Reply: Engine Wiring Harness Rebuild