Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CV Joint Options

Old 10-28-2011, 10:22 AM
SalzundPfeffer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CV Joint Options

In need of a new axle. Thought it was going to let go on the interstate coming home from work last night. Backend was shaking; I could feel it coming through the shifter, but that's another story.

Both Oreilly and Autozone show the part on their websites, but when I called to order, both places said they no longer have stock of the part in their warehouses and that I must "return for repair." I don’t think it’s worth it considering some of the bad reviews of their axles by other posters.

Other options for complete axles include:
Napa ~$185 (reman)
944online ~ $140 (reman)
Pelican, Paragon, Performance Products >~ $200

My leading option is to buy CV rebuild kits from Allzim for $50 a piece. Saves me some money, get to learn a new skill and don’t have to send the axle out for repair. I’ve never done business with Allzim. What do other people think? Does anyone have experience with their CV kits?

Also, are there any other things that I should consider doing while I have the axles off? Would this be a good time to do transmission mounts or anything?

Thanks in advance,
-bp
Old 10-28-2011, 10:50 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SalzundPfeffer
In need of a new axle. Thought it was going to let go on the interstate coming home from work last night. Backend was shaking; I could feel it coming through the shifter, but that's another story.

Both Oreilly and Autozone show the part on their websites, but when I called to order, both places said they no longer have stock of the part in their warehouses and that I must "return for repair." I don’t think it’s worth it considering some of the bad reviews of their axles by other posters.

Other options for complete axles include:
Napa ~$185 (reman)
944online ~ $140 (reman)
Pelican, Paragon, Performance Products >~ $200

My leading option is to buy CV rebuild kits from Allzim for $50 a piece. Saves me some money, get to learn a new skill and don’t have to send the axle out for repair. I’ve never done business with Allzim. What do other people think? Does anyone have experience with their CV kits?

Also, are there any other things that I should consider doing while I have the axles off? Would this be a good time to do transmission mounts or anything?

Thanks in advance,
-bp
I just installed 2 CV axles from NAPA, remove your old ones first, and turn them in as cores when you pick up new ones.. total for 2 axles, a tube of grease and 2 cans of brake cleaner was ~$160... there is a hefty core charge included in the listed $180 price online!
Old 10-28-2011, 10:59 AM
acorad
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went the NAPA route w/in the last month or so, so far so good!

It can be kind a real mess, so what I do is install the axles dry and after they're installed I pull off the clip that keeps the lip of the rubber boot tight to the axle, inject a tube of axle grease with a food syringe under that lip into each CV joint, and then replace the clip with a tie-wrap.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:19 PM
SalzundPfeffer
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
I just installed 2 CV axles from NAPA, remove your old ones first, and turn them in as cores when you pick up new ones.. total for 2 axles, a tube of grease and 2 cans of brake cleaner was ~$160... there is a hefty core charge included in the listed $180 price online!
Wow. Maybe I should try to read... I am so used to prices without the core included. Napa does it the other way around. Thanks for pointing that out. This sounds like the best option for the money.

Is it worth it to replace bolts, spacers or the gaskets when I do the job too? What about transmission mounts? Can bad mounts lead to premature CV failure?

Thanks,
-bp
Old 10-28-2011, 12:23 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

What year car do you have and what model? NA turbo what?
Old 10-28-2011, 12:51 PM
SalzundPfeffer
Instructor

Sorry, should have specified.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:51 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Wow. Maybe I should try to read... I am so used to prices without the core included. Napa does it the other way around. Thanks for pointing that out. This sounds like the best option for the money.

Is it worth it to replace bolts, spacers or the gaskets when I do the job too? What about transmission mounts? Can bad mounts lead to premature CV failure?

Thanks,
-bp
Perhaps on the bolts, cant hurt to have replacements on hand just in case one strips out..

And yes a worn out trans mount can kill CVs.. to the extent that some folks have devised a brace bar for their trans, I have used both solid and semi solid mounts, and will be sticking to the semi solid mount from here on out on my 44s...
Old 10-28-2011, 01:18 PM
SalzundPfeffer
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Perhaps on the bolts, cant hurt to have replacements on hand just in case one strips out..

And yes a worn out trans mount can kill CVs.. to the extent that some folks have devised a brace bar for their trans, I have used both solid and semi solid mounts, and will be sticking to the semi solid mount from here on out on my 44s...
Do you have a recommendation for the semi solid mounts and where to purchase?

Thanks,
-bp
Old 10-28-2011, 01:54 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Do you have a recommendation for the semi solid mounts and where to purchase?

Thanks,
-bp
Since you have the early style car you have 2 trans mounts. I would just simply fill your early style mounts with some window weld. That should help stiffen them up quite a bit.

The later cars use only one mount that holds the top of the trans. Most people will fill it with urethane, or get a semi solid mount from one of the vendors that makes one.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Litesonic
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a quick endorsement for Allzim... I think you have already decided on the best choice for you. In other transactions (Powersteering related) they were great!

best of luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CV Joint Options