Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with 87 944na rear defogger

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 09:01 PM
xcracer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with 87 944na rear defogger

I have an 87 na with a rear window defogger not working. I am reading different stories on different sites on what could be wrong so I thought I would check here. Here is what I know.

I am getting 12 volts from both left and right side wires.
The grid is good.
Both shocks are identical and in good shape, they don't need replaced. I do not believe they are OEM.
My right side heated mirror works but not the left.
I am having issues with the interior lights not shutting off, just going dim with all doors shut.
I have not blown any fuses.

I have a couple ideas but I know someone knows exactly what I should do. Thanks. gnccquadracer@hotmail.com
Old 10-24-2011, 09:39 PM
redmund
Racer

Originally Posted by xcracer
Both shocks are identical and in good shape, they don't need replaced.
The struts shouldn't be the same.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:17 PM
xcracer
Track Day

any idea how I know which one to replace?
Old 12-02-2011, 03:33 PM
troy928
Advanced

Originally Posted by xcracer
I have an 87 na with a rear window defogger not working. I am reading different stories on different sites on what could be wrong so I thought I would check here. Here is what I know.

I am getting 12 volts from both left and right side wires.
The grid is good.
Both shocks are identical and in good shape, they don't need replaced. I do not believe they are OEM.
My right side heated mirror works but not the left.
I am having issues with the interior lights not shutting off, just going dim with all doors shut.
I have not blown any fuses.

I have a couple ideas but I know someone knows exactly what I should do. Thanks. gnccquadracer@hotmail.com
I have the exact same problem...did you get yours resolved???
Old 12-02-2011, 03:47 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The right side strut should have a guard and switch on it at the lower end... this is what triggers the rear hatch area light when the hatch is opened..

The left side strut is the + connection for the rear defroster, the right side strut is the ground for the defroster and the switch... teh wire at the right strut is for the rear area light, and has nothing to do with the defroster (unless you have 2 left struts fitted, in this case you have NO ground path for your defrost or light)..

The flag mirrors being heated... you may not have a heated mirror installed, it would need to be removed to be checked.. to do this there is a locking ring holding the mirror on, it is dis-engauged by inserting a screwdriver in the hole in teh bottom of the mirror bezel (look and you will see it) and using the screwdriver to unlock the ring... I have a broken mirror at home I can take pictures of if you need a picture!
Old 12-02-2011, 07:14 PM
River
Racer

+1 on John's.

They are different.

I would (as I always say), clean all your grounds. There's two main ones back there. The mirrors are a pain to pop open, lol!

Quick Reply: Need help with 87 944na rear defogger