Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof Arms - Not a gear problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 11:05 PM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy Sunroof Arms - Not a gear problem

Hey all,

I've been fighting with the sunroof ever since I got the 86 944 turbo this summer. The owner had listed it as having recently had sunroof work. Actually all the mechanisms are fine. All the gears are intact, everything is aligned, the spirals look good, the motor works fine, etc.

The issue I have though is that when the arms are retracted all the way, and the sunroof is placed on, the arms will not re-enter the grooves in the back of the roof.

When the arms are fully retracted and the roof is on, the roof sits a little high in the back due to weather stripping. I've only found two ways to get the arms back in the grooves so I can latch the sunroof shut:

1.) Disassemble the gear mechanisms and manually place the arms in the correct positions.

2.) Have my wife lay on the sunroof to compress the seal so that the arms actually have a chance of popping in without the roof lifting back up because the arms won't pop in the grooves.

The weather stripping looks fine and undamaged. When retracted via this painful manual process, it sits fine after. But this really isn't normal.

Does it usually require so much force to 'pop' the arms back in to the groove, or are they just supposed to slide in effortlessly?

Also, should the roof sit high at all when the arms are retracted? Or should it sit completely flush and is that my problem?

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2011, 11:35 PM
dpoul34
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a guy on the 944online forum with the exact same, frustrating, hair pulling situation.

Yes, the roof should be completely flush. Depending on how new the sunroof seal is might be where the problem is. They should just slide in and out of there. If it's not flush it won't be in the right position to catch. Perhaps there's buildup around the seal or on the roof itself that's preventing a flush fit.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:00 AM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmm. Trying to find the other post. Anyway, I ordered some new sunroof seals so I'll redo them and clean everything and see if that helps. I was originally thinking that they were newer seals so they weren't worn in yet. But I don't know if they really are new so maybe this is happening because they are old heh.

Now that the thing is closed though, I disconnected the power terminal in back and I may not ever move it again. Maybe Ill just fill the thing with gutter seal and be done with it!
Old 10-23-2011, 08:28 AM
J Berk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the sunroof seal new? Is it the correct part? I think I have read (maybe on clarks garage) that when a new seal is installed..the roof panel should be weighted down and left to sit in the sun for a day to "shape"
Old 10-23-2011, 09:36 PM
stew-gart44
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default roof

Originally Posted by Player0
Hey all,

I've been fighting with the sunroof ever since I got the 86 944 turbo this summer. The owner had listed it as having recently had sunroof work. Actually all the mechanisms are fine. All the gears are intact, everything is aligned, the spirals look good, the motor works fine, etc.

The issue I have though is that when the arms are retracted all the way, and the sunroof is placed on, the arms will not re-enter the grooves in the back of the roof.

When the arms are fully retracted and the roof is on, the roof sits a little high in the back due to weather stripping. I've only found two ways to get the arms back in the grooves so I can latch the sunroof shut:

1.) Disassemble the gear mechanisms and manually place the arms in the correct positions.

2.) Have my wife lay on the sunroof to compress the seal so that the arms actually have a chance of popping in without the roof lifting back up because the arms won't pop in the grooves.

The weather stripping looks fine and undamaged. When retracted via this painful manual process, it sits fine after. But this really isn't normal.

Does it usually require so much force to 'pop' the arms back in to the groove, or are they just supposed to slide in effortlessly?

Also, should the roof sit high at all when the arms are retracted? Or should it sit completely flush and is that my problem?

Thanks!
all german cars come with a special tool to open and close by hand with a allen key or tool..

Quick Reply: Sunroof Arms - Not a gear problem