Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Denver - need help w/ cam tower gasket & aluminum weld.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 07:39 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nevermind, I figured it out. I can't actually see and can barely touch the bolt on the bottom. Since I didn't want to crush the gasket, I had tightened the bolt until I was getting fair resistance. I had tried to tell by feel and it felt tight. Well it turns out it was still quite aways from tight. It was amazing how hard it was to turn with my stubby wrench before it was all the way in. Cleaned it up and no more smoke. Well now that I fixed my mistake.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:02 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

What are the symptoms as to why you're considering pulling off the tower? If it's oil leaking in the front onto the exhaust manifold it's possible that it's the front camshaft seals behind the sprocket. if it's in the back and dripping oil down the back of the engine then it's likely the cork gasket. It's it's really the tower itself, then you're talking about pulling off the fuel rail and may cause other issues with fuel injector sealing, loosening the front belts, and remember that when you put the tower back on, make sure the cam gear is at TDC before you try to reinstall the tower or you'll push a valve into a piston top. Put grease on the lifters to hold them into place while you turn the tower over, too or they'll fall out. Hopefully, it's just the cork seal or the front cam seal.

Quick Reply: Denver - need help w/ cam tower gasket & aluminum weld.