Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A quick primer on reading the Porsche wiring diagrams

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A quick primer on reading the Porsche wiring diagrams

Hey guys, I thought I'd post this for Rennlist and Pelican members.

Since I've been doing a lot of wiring on my race car recently, I've pretty much reverse engineered the factory wiring harness, taken it apart piece by piece, and even disassembled the entire fusebox, in an effort to really understand everything.

The factory wiring diagrams are actually very simple in theory, but can be complete gibberish to the first time viewer.

The diagrams are found in the factory service manuals, which can be found by a simple google search. They are usually split up into several large PDF files, the one related to wiring is usually called Vol4_electrical.pdf, or something similar to that.

The wiring diagrams for the early cars ~1980-84 is a little different to the 1985.5 cars wiring diagrams. I am focusing on the 1985.5+ diagrams, since my cars have been 86, 87 and 91 models.

After you've found the diagrams, the next key step is to find the right pages that actually apply to your model year car. (since the wiring harnesses vary from year to year)

Let's say I have a 1987 model car, and I want to find the wiring diagram for it.

Page 97 (sheet 14) is the ABS, Airbag diagram for 1987 model 944s and 944 turbos.

Here is a GIF I have made of that page:
http://members.shaw.ca/rsandor5/ABS_87.gif

Notice the numbers across the top and the sides. The letters and number form a reference grid, so that you can follow the wires from page to page. This is the trickiest part of reading these diagrams.

The ABS/Airbag wiring (sheet 14) runs from 91 to 100. The next page/sheet would be 101 to 110, and so on.

You'll notice in the top left corner of the diagram (just below A and right of 92) there is a number K41, surrounded by a box. That number means that the wire goes to grid section K41. If you go back a few pages to where grid section 41 is, and look below the letter K, you'll find an A92 in a small box. This is how you follow wires from one page to the next.

If you see a DIAMOND with a number in it, it means that wire leads to that grid section, but it joins/welds with several other wires at that grid reference. So, if look at our ABS wiring sheet, and go to the bottom right, section J99, you will see a diamond with an H34 in it. If you then go to the sheet with the H34 grid section, and you look up that grid area, you will see a larger box with several grid references in it, one of which will be J99. That means several wires are leading to H34 and meet up/weld there. (usually brown, aka ground wires)

On the lines (wires) themselves, you'll see things like 0.5 WS/SW. This means that the wire is 0.5 thickness, and the wire is Weisse(white) with a Schwartz(black) stripe. (The second color is always the color of the stripe)

Be careful not to confuse GR (GRAY) with GN (GREEN) and WS(WHITE) with SW(BLACK)

The list of colors is as follows:
SW - schwartz - BLACK
WS - weisse - WHITE
RT - rot - RED
LI - lilac - PURPLE
GE - gelb - YELLOW
GR - grau - GRAY
GN - grun - GREEN
BL - blau - BLUE
BR - brun - BROWN (almost always a GROUND wire, leading to a MP or ground point)

0.5 is the smallest wire that you will find in the harness.
1.0 is slightly, but noticeably larger
1.5 is again bigger
2.0 is quite thick, and usually reserved for power supply wires
2.5, 4.0, 6.0, and larger wires are reserved for high power draw items such as headlights etc.

If you follow the wires, they will eventually lead to a PINOUT from either the fusebox, a relay, a switch, a light, or some other device.

If you again look at our ABS diagram and look at the ABS equipment on the left hand side, you'll see little circles with numbers - these are the PINOUTS from that box. Usually they are also stamped into the device itself. (but not always)

The other end of the wires might go to the fusebox - referred to as "CENTRAL ELECTRIC" by the diagrams. They will end at another pinout, but it will be something like G24 or O11 or D55. This refers to the pinouts underneath the fusebox.

The underside of the fusebox on my 1986 944 turbo looks like this: http://members.shaw.ca/rsandor5/fusebox_86.gif

So for example, if you look at our ABS diagram again, you'll see there is a 4.0 thick, RT (Red) wire going from pin7 at the ABS RELAY to pin D11 in the fusebox. If you look at my fusebox drawing, you'll see that block D has a white label on it, and pin 11 is in the first corner of the block.

If you go to your car, unscrew the corners of the fusebox and lift it up and out, you should be able to see this red wire going from the ABS relay to the corner of the white D block.

That is all for now, I hope that someone finds this useful!
Rich
Old 10-21-2011, 07:55 PM
doabarrelroll
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write-up chief! This could of saved me a boat load of time in my own wiring adventures :P
Old 10-21-2011, 08:36 PM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say, if you can't find it on the diagram for your model or year check other models that year or year up or back
Old 10-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the factory service manuals have an entire set of wiring diagrams for each model year of car.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:50 AM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Like +1

And in good timing too....
Old 10-23-2011, 01:36 AM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rich, this is great! I was confused by what the diamond meant when trying to diagnose what was causing my oil level light to illuminate on the dash even though oil level was full and I'd installed a new sender. Seems like a grounding problem then...

Quick Reply: A quick primer on reading the Porsche wiring diagrams