Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with a spare OPRV handy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 05:46 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone with a spare OPRV handy?

Was hoping someone has a spare OPRV handy, particularly the later 1-piece style. When pushing on the piston inside the valve with a screw driver, is there a very slight resistance right as the valve opens (uncovers the ports on the side) or should the piston travel be smooth and consistent through the entire stroke?

My oil pressure is normal, albiet seems excessively high on my gauge tapped into a filter sandwich plate. Seeing around 90psi at the filter accelerating around 25-3000 rpm on warm engine (10w40).. on a relatively cold engine i am seeing close to 110psi while accelerating around 3k rpm. Idle (both cold and warm) is where i expect it to be. I never really drive this car much during the colder months so not sure if this is normal or not.

Mind you 5-bar is about 70psi.. so you could say i am seeing like 7-bar if the gauge went up that high.

I pulled the valve out and it looks ok, nothing blocking it. Just noticed a very slight resistance when pushing in on the piston about 1/4 of the way through its travel. Feels like it could be normal, but not sure. Thinking its possible the valve is sticking there as its opening, letting the pressure get too high, just a guess.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:57 AM
luftpirate
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See if you can rotate the piston and see if there is any scoring on the side looking through the hole on the side. When I disassembled mine (and was never able to get it back together due to incorrect o-rings) I found light scoring on the piston. I think Porsche recommends replacing it if that's the case. If you haven't got an answer in a week I can grab mine and check but won't be able to do so for another week.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:37 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've checked an OPRV with used "O" rings and the movement is smooth.

Name:  OPRV SPRING test.JPG
Views: 67
Size:  66.1 KB

Reposting a TSB info. Information on Repair Procedure #3:

Name:  TSB-19017.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  75.5 KB

Name:  OPRV tech bul.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  141.8 KB

Could it be binding in the oil cooler housing?

I once picked up new "O" rings at the dealer and they were the wrong size- hardly noticeable.

GL
John
Attached Images  
Old 10-22-2011, 10:52 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the input. I ended up replacing the valve this morning (love having a WorldPac nearby) just for the hell of it and saw no change in oil pressure. In comparing the two the piston stroke felt the similar on both, so i was just being paranoid as usual. Literally everything on the engine is new at this point, so i figured minus well just go all the way.

With the oil at normal operating temp it drops down to 3-bar idle as normal, from about 3k rpm to redline it stays at 85psi about, so the valve is definetley working. The cold oil pressure i was seeing at ~3k just made me a bit unsure of myself!

Quick Reply: Anyone with a spare OPRV handy?