Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof corner pops open at high speed, disengaged from holding arm, can't put back!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 02:33 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof corner pops open at high speed, disengaged from holding arm, can't put back!

Found a similar inquiry on Pelican- can anyone else advise? I screwed with this on the side of a road in Arkansas for nearly an hour working innumerable ways of trying to get it back on with the sunroof switches in various stages. I'm scared I'm going to break my holding/lifting arms if I try and force the sunroof back into place. They just won't retract enough for the sunroof to come all the way flush and then mount back into place to tip up. So annoying! This is one of the stories from my forthcoming trip thread later this week, but I ended up driving 'topless' from Memphis to Dallas... sure glad it was pretty weather!

-----

Comments: My 1989 turbo sunroof rear nearside corner pops open at high speed. It has therefore disengaged from the holding arm. Should I suspect the gears or some other part?
September 15, 2009
Followup from the Pelican Staff: Sorry, but you'll just have to tear it open to see what's actually broken in there - it may be one of a number of things. - Wayne at Pelican Parts
Old 10-18-2011, 05:27 PM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If my memory serves me correctly, they wont retract without the saftey switch being depressed. I would guess if you press up on the triangular center switch by the front edge of the sunroof, while pressing the sunroof switch top retract the arms, they should drop.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:49 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can manually actuate the sunroof using a wrench or socket. This should also allow you to lower the arms to where you need, to get the system back in sync. There may also be another problem that needs to be addressed, since you should have been able to fully retract the arms on a properly functioning system.
Procedure is on Clarks:
http://www.clarks-garage.com/
Old 10-19-2011, 02:01 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, guys- I got it. I had to get the ignition in the right place (position 1?) to truly fully retract the lifting arms. The roof fell flush, then the arms were able to come back and clip in. Visual check on each side confirmed, tested it up and down a few times. All good! What an overall crappy, cleaver design... and annoying now that temps around here are finally into the 70s! Argh.

Quick Reply: Sunroof corner pops open at high speed, disengaged from holding arm, can't put back!