Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just aquired my first 944 and could use some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 10:21 PM
Perculator00
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ernie9468
Clean all main grounds /remove all fuse & relays check & clean don't forget the sunroof motor & relays (driver side) in Cargo area + battery cables & starter.Body, check the hatcback & grease all mechanisme/doors & hood the same.Clean all rubber part & apply Rubber/Vinyl conditioner.Like mention shocks/rubber bushings (they are now twenty years old & have seen better days if wasn't replace lately.Wheel bearings/brakes & rotors should also be look at.Pics are -the main grounds location & your sunroof motor mechanisme.To properly maintain & trouble shoot your car refer to this place ,it will be your best friend & a money saver from now on. www.clarks-garage.com once on the main page enter (Garage Shop Manual) & scroll down to any subjects which is of interest to you .Have Fun

Does that diagram for the main ground locations apply to even late model 944s?
Old 10-17-2011, 07:08 PM
Bigz
3rd Gear

Ok posted some pics and contacted shop doing motor about issues stated here. He says he was aware of everything mentioned and that the shop uses a computer program to assemble the motors so it is done to each brands specs. Car has 89K on it so I guess that would be considered low mileage for the year. Checked all grounds and connections and everything looks like new. Will grease everything that moves in the next couple. Getting a little excited about the motor being done I find myself looking for things to do on the car until it gets here.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:30 AM
El_Duderino
Intermediate

Originally Posted by odurandina
as to the car. first there's some bad news... very sorry to report you've made a poor choice on purchase. any auto 944 is worth less than $3 k. costs for repairs to the transmission can be astronomical by comparison... may it never happen to you. upgrade to a manual box soon, and you'll be able to get the car to 60 mph in less than 10 seconds. that's always a plus for a sports car. now the good news; with a lot of patience, time, spare parts and care for the cooling and timing systems (new parts and wrenching), you could end up having a fun car. good luck.
i'm with rock.. no wait, you're right again; it's always better to blow sunshine up someone's *** to cover for Porsche's slowest car of the 20th century... of course i didn't mean to hurt the op's feelings. on the contrary, he's got a few choices to convert his ride into a pretty fast car... in case anyone here is new and might be tempted into buying a 944 automatic for what will surely look like 'low 944 dollars,' do yourself a favor and don't. get one with a manual transmission instead.

Odurandina, I have just come across this thread and read these posts of yours...wow! Have you no manners or respect towards others? I have seen quite a number of posts in other threads by you which come across as arrogant and condescending, and this is another fine example.

The OP has had the courtesy to introduce himself and his new pride and joy to the forum, where he should reasonably expect to feel welcomed, gain valuable information and ask relevant and sensible questions. Instead, you basically kick to poor fella in the ***** for having a vehicle which differs in specification from yours, and proceed to tell him his car is crap and worthless because it's an automatic and not hardcore to your particular tastes. Then you proceed to push your own pointless agenda of doing a transmission swap to a manual to make it half-credible.

I may be a relative newbie on this forum, but thankfully was spared this kind of welcome-slaying. Everyone has been extremely friendly and full of positive comments, information and encouragement, and it's these ingredients which make the difference between a good forum, and an exceptional one.

I'm perfectly happy with my early automatic 944, and it performs magnificently as a cruising car with a bit of go, and fantastic handling. Not everybody needs or wants a tyre-shredding missile or a race car. Some people just want a clean and tidy example of a car they've had their heart set on for ages. Nobody likes what we call in Australia a "tall poppy", so pull your head in, cut the keyboard warrior antics and be more courteous towards your fellow Porsche enthusiasts.

Last edited by El_Duderino; 10-18-2011 at 03:46 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:00 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

sometimes i like to say things with a bit of an 'edge' to them. i think that in this case, (and i admit there have other 'incidents' where i've made insensitive comments), that my words were taken a bit out of context and amplified... unfortunately, i also know that there will be a few of you who won't let this matter 'rest' anytime soon.... more than my post, i regret far more that it has come to be a distraction to what otherwise should have been a much more positively spirited 'welcome' thread for a new member to the 944 family...

all i can do is appologize to Bigs. Bigs, for this, i sincerely appologize. and to you all for insulting the op, and accomplishing little more. i realize that your rides are all vip car projects... i would like to think that i'm every bit the car enthusiast as you all are, (although behind the curve on wrenching) and i hope that i can contribute in a far more positive way in the future.

sorry for being such an ***.

od.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:40 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The forums are interesting because of members who share their knowledge.

An opinion is not cast in stone.

When you have a couple of years or more on the forum(s), and have read and replied to thousands of questions, replies may not be sugar coated from members senior to you.

When I read the OPs first post and saw "the engine is completely disassembled" I groaned.

Judgment from your next reply is just a click away.

Mea Culpas are not required but nice to see.

(....waiting, waiting)

John
Old 10-19-2011, 02:03 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

....all i can do is appologize to Bigs. Bigs, for this, i sincerely appologize......
Bravo, as they say, it takes a big man to apologise, and for that I applaud your post, as many wouldn't bother or have the guts to admit they committed a faux par (sp)

Anyway back to the point of this thread. Welcome !
Car looks good(we need more pics though), and once you get her back on the road, I am sure will love her as much as we all love ours. I read once that there are no ugly Porsche's but that, the one you own, is always a little nicer looking than the others

Enjoy the car and don't be shy about hitting the members here up for info, as they really are a very helpful, knowledgeable, and a great bunch of ppl.

On the road, you may find that some ppl want to race you, as when they see a Porsche, they want to beat it, but the best part of driving a Porsche is you never have to race anyone, as you are the one driving the Porsche.

Ironically ppl will assume you have lots of money, and the funny thing about *most* of these cars, is they have a way of making sure you never have too much to spare
peace
Cyberpunky

Quick Reply: Just aquired my first 944 and could use some advice.