Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braking component issue - 944 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 05:42 PM
ZW 944
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Braking component issue - 944 turbo

The background:

I just got done fixing my turbo which had a brake fluid leak at the brake bias valve - first I replaced the master cylinder because I thought that was suspect, then as I was bleeding the brakes with my motive bleeder I saw the bias valve dripping. I got everything back together, re bled with the motive but the pedal seems to have more travel before it actually engages the brakes

The other related problem:

While trying to find the leak, I noticed that when my dad pressed on the brake pedal hard (with the car off) the brake booster seems to shift ever so slightly. Also, when I had the master cylinder off, the pin that comes out of the middle of the brake booster is very mobile (there is lots of play) almost as if it is attached to a ball joint of sorts.

Questions:

What would cause the kind of movement that I'm seeing in the brake booster when the brakes are applied hard? Is that pin in the middle of the brake booster supposed to move like that? Could the new master cylinder mean I need to somehow adjust the brake actuator bar that goes from the pedal to the brake booster? The brakes get firm after a moderate amount of travel, and will bring the car to a screeching halt if floored.

Thanks for all your help in advance, It seems this just hasn't been my week for the 944's, the N/A just got rear ended on the highway with pretty extensive damage, and also the turbo's having electrical issues
Old 10-11-2011, 01:27 PM
ZW 944
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump

Nobody else has had their master cylinder off?
Old 10-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

That pin from the booster should have some play (that makes it self-aligning).

Seeing the booster move a little bit when stepping on the pedal is normal - that's the firewall flexing. If it moves a bit, then you might have a crack in the firewall.

Sounds to me like you still have some air in the system.

Quick Reply: Braking component issue - 944 turbo