Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It Has Begun...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011 | 11:14 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pnbell
My personal belief is that this whole belt tension matter has been blown out of proportion. I just did the twist method on mine, and honestly I have never re-tension the belt..

It has been over a year, and my car has blown up yet! ha ha

I will admit I was a little nervous.. but being a virgin of anything = nervousness..
but just like losing you virginity, you realize "Wow, that wasn't really that big of a deal, and now i can't wait to do it again!" HA HA

John will just have to deal with me.. Ha Ha!! Is this at his new place? Were you visiting last weekend by any chance?

PM Sent!

Originally Posted by ChrisLovin
Yeah his new place. And No this will be my first time meeting him, or any other rennlist member for that matter. I'm really looking forward to it.

Lets avoid dragging CyClones thread too far off topic, he did a great job getting this knocked out himself!
Old 09-28-2011 | 11:17 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

I applaud you. I just don't know if I could bring myself to do this on my own. I'm a scaredy cat when it comes to this job. My dad has always said just get someone who knows these cars to do it. And thats what we have always done. I am starting to think that maybe I should do it myself. Conquer my fear.
Old 09-28-2011 | 11:58 AM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CyCloNe!
I had cranked that puppy a few complete rotations and it seems just like it was before I took the old belts off... I've noticed that the crank spins easier sometimes during the rotations than others I'm assuming it's because as the engine is stroking up it takes more effort since I am moving them by hand upward and when it's on the down stroke it's easier of course since the pistons are going down. Any thoughts?
Do you have the sparkplugs out? If not, you are likely feeling the compression strokes...
Old 09-28-2011 | 04:16 PM
SirLapsalot
Pro

Originally Posted by CyCloNe!
I had cranked that puppy a few complete rotations and it seems just like it was before I took the old belts off... I've noticed that the crank spins easier sometimes during the rotations than others I'm assuming it's because as the engine is stroking up it takes more effort since I am moving them by hand upward and when it's on the down stroke it's easier of course since the pistons are going down. Any thoughts?
Yes completely normal. Compression stroke
Old 09-28-2011 | 04:31 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Why did you take your bumper off?
Old 09-28-2011 | 06:34 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

I put the car on ramps, couldn't keep the bumper on with the ones I had.

Ok guys I started the car up and it ran great... The odd thing is I started it about an hour later and my Vac reading was lower than it usually is. Usually on a cold start I'm around 16hg and now its about 11hg... Possible I bent valves or just a common vac leak? I hear that when valves are bent the car won't run but just checking.

Last edited by CyCloNe!; 09-28-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-28-2011 | 06:55 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Car drives good though, I have a belt whine coming from the new belts... but if they are over tightened it shouldn't be by much, should I adjust or just wait until first tension interval?
Old 09-28-2011 | 07:44 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Well took the car for another drive and it drives good, I think I have a Vac leak ... I drove it until it mildly warmed up and my idle was at 19hg roughly. While driving it was around 23-24hg. The belts do seems a little tight, I think my timing belt is more like an 80 degree twist instead of a 90 and my balance belt is more like a 140 than 180 degree.
Old 09-28-2011 | 08:16 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pnbell
My personal belief is that this whole belt tension matter has been blown out of proportion. I just did the twist method on mine, and honestly I have never re-tension the belt..

It has been over a year, and my car has blown up yet! ha ha
Well belts are made of better quality materials compared to 20-30yrs ago and the manufacturers strive to make a non-stretching belt and exceed OEM standards. Still good to ensure the tension is correct but I wouldn't be surprised if the belt doesn't stretch much.
Old 09-28-2011 | 10:10 PM
Arominus
Race Car

The belt whine means your balance belt is a bit tight, loosen it up some.
Old 09-30-2011 | 10:04 AM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Well I loosened the balance shaft belt and that helped some with the whine. I think the timing belt is whining as well but I will give it a little more time and if it doesn't settle then I will loosen it slightly.

Any who I feel the job was a great success so I wish to thank the Lord for giving me the patience and confidence to do the job, Van for his excellent video's (without them I would be scared), Curt and John for their willingness to help out and give me their wisdom and support. Finally I would like to thank everyone for tuning in and giving your insight and suggestions.
Old 09-30-2011 | 10:19 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

How long do you think it actually took you to do?
Old 09-30-2011 | 01:01 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
How long do you think it actually took you to do?
First time, 6 hours or so.. longer if you are taking extra caution and such..

my last one I believe I had done in about an hour and a half, and that was taking breaks!

We shall see on Sunday, as I have one coming over for belts and water pump!
Old 09-30-2011 | 01:17 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Congrats! Glad the mission was a success. Now your a real 944 owner! and your ready to tackle projects like New Clutch, Motor Mounts, and Rod Bearings!! ha ha

and yea. Everyone always installs the Balance Belt too tight... It amazing how loose it has too be in order to be quiet! Never Really heard of a Timing Belt whining though..?

As for the Vacuum Lines, Installing new silicon lines is a fun afternoon project; and an interesting learning experience - seeing what each vacuum line controls.
Old 09-30-2011 | 08:22 PM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Maybe it's my balance belt still making noise but its pretty loose so I'll just leave it, its just tight enough that it removed the natural curve in the belt making it straight lol

Honestly it really didn't take the long I spent more time getting ready, such as removing the front bumper and such to get on the ramps. Just factoring the water pump, starter and belts was only around 4 hours. Removing the front bumper, changing spark plugs, getting on/off ramps, messing with a damaged spark plug wire, working on a door handle (that still doesn't work, rod with plastic eye isn't long enough to open the latch), back up switch and such made it last another 3-4 hours.

Quick Reply: It Has Begun...