Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Hatch Glass/Frame Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011 | 10:21 PM
Ed Petry
Rennlist Member

Default Rear Hatch Glass/Frame Issues

Hi everyone,
Rear hatch seems like it is not fitting correctly. The rear lock pins appear that they are not stricking the rear lid lock plate in the center of the hole but rather on the back side (side closest to the rear of the car). The top of the rear hatch leaks when hit by a water jet directed toward the top of the glass/frame (think $1 car wash spray directed at the glass/frame seam). Seems the glass and the frame have separated at the top of the assembly. Is this a common issue on this car? Any suggestions to realign the glass/frame/lock pins?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-19-2011 | 12:20 AM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Very very common issue. A quick search would yield many ways to go about fixing, because it can be resealed. I have yet to do mine...
Old 09-19-2011 | 10:24 AM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Oh, boy. Welcome to the club. There's so many posts and threads about this problem. It is believed that the force of the piston extenders that hold up the hatch combined with the degredation of the sealant from the factory used to join the hatch frame to the glass from UV causes the separation. Everyone has to deal with it (unless their car stays in the garage and never goes out). Basically, the hatch has to come off, the sealant scraped from both the glass and the frame, checking and reforming the frame if it's bent anywhere, priming (some do and some don't) and then choosing a sealant, adhesive or whatever you may use, from a long list of recommendations and then clamping it together for periods from 24 hrs to 24 days . Recommend researching all the posts on re-sealing this thing and good luck. I still have to do mine but only after all the mechanical work is done. By the way, I recommend that after you've fixed it, go on e-bay and find another big rubber gasket seal that goes around the inside of the hatch opening. They shrink in length over time and won't stay in place. Causes a lot of leaks.
Old 09-19-2011 | 10:54 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Just did this yesterday. remove the hatch, side trim, and the trim at the top very carefully. you should be able to further seperate the glass and frame with the hatch sitting on some saw horses. Clean everything real good removing as much of the original sealant as possible. Typically you will only have to reseal it at the area aound the hinges. Don't try to remove the entire glass from the frame. I used glass etching cream on the glass and resealed it with 3M windo-weld. lay the sealant to it and clamp the glass and frame with lots of c-clamps. let it dry for a few hours and then reassemble/reinstall the hatch. Wait 24 hours to connect the struts. You will be able to clean up the gobs of sealant real easy with a razor blade after it all dries. You may have to trim some sealant off the outside top edge before getting the trim back on.
Search here for more involved procedures, but it's not hard to do.

Quick Reply: Rear Hatch Glass/Frame Issues