Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which of these speakers

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 11:32 AM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at the specs and choose the ones that give you the widest range of sound.... BUT in all reality you prob cant tell the difference between any of them with a sub making up the difference in the low end so get a proper Amp to drive these and call it a day.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:45 PM
PerceptionProblem
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cyberpunky, I love you. : squeeze :

+ 9,000 to trust your ears!! People can debate all day about this and that, but at the end of the day, it's what sounds best to your ears. Just like mic placement; there are general rules, but if it sounds better placed in a way that is not the 'accepted norm', by all means, do it.

I think the point the two of us (and everyone else in this thread) are tying to make is exactly that: trust your ears.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:05 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Wes I have alpine speakers in the front of my car, blown stock in the rear. I added a JBL 8" sub with the KLA Stealth Sub box. It sounds really good. I just fade all my music to the front. its one of the most well rounded systems I have heard in a long time. I use a Kenwood KIV-900 BT headunit. Wish I would have waited a year so I could have the pandora built in but its whatev its a solid setup.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Heh i just put in a 900BT myself, its a pretty nice headunit. I'm running the New Alpine Type-R 8" in a KLA box as well. My master plan involves new Focal polyglass 165v30's up front though. Going to make some custom mounts to make it happen

Seriously though, invest in some sound deadening for the doors and especially behind the speakers. It makes a huge difference.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:39 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Originally Posted by Arominus
Heh i just put in a 900BT myself, its a pretty nice headunit. I'm running the New Alpine Type-R 8" in a KLA box as well. My master plan involves new Focal polyglass 165v30's up front though. Going to make some custom mounts to make it happen

Seriously though, invest in some sound deadening for the doors and especially behind the speakers. It makes a huge difference.
The bluetooth on it is amazing. The quality is top notch. I kind of miss having my iphone as it worked so well with it.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:59 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

+1 on sound deadening which reminds me I must do mine lol
I would also highly recommend fitting a trim ring or baffle between speaker and door. I used 6mm MDF. Metal tends to resonate in sympathy with bass output, but putting MDF in between gives it a more solid mount and eliminates(or reduces) sympathetic resonances(vibrations). This will help increase lower midbass output, which on the 4 x 6 speakers we are forced to fit, can make a huge difference. Just make sure you paint the MDF(especially the edges) as doors are a wet area, and if left unsealed will swell and be ruined very quickly.
peace
Cyberpunky
Old 09-20-2011, 11:15 AM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

Yeah. I'd planned on doing the trim ring. May make another small one on top of it so I can put the stock speaker covers back on. It had some aftermarket ones on it that were ok but were hot glued to the speaker plate.

I hadn't done any sound deading yet though. I'd planned on doing it at least in the back because I remember how loud the car is w/ no seats back there. For the doors do I just apply it over the plastic that's between the door and the pannel? Also I always, well the last 12 years since I got my licence, always used household foam weather stripping all the way around the underside of the speaker plate. Anyone else do this? Just seemed like it'd be something to keep the air on either side, esp when cutting to custom install speakers.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:06 AM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 416 Likes on 284 Posts

All other things being equal, you will get a half octave or so more bass with the 4x6" speakers, than with the "plates". Then the question becomes which 4x6 speaker has the better sounding tweeter.

When I redid my system, and this was about 12 years ago, I built my own 'component' system by using Audax 4x6 mid-woofers (in all four locations), then hid a pair of Audax tweeters in the lower portion of the HVAC ducts on either side of the dash. Bought the parts, including capacitors to protect the tweeters, from Madisound. The Audax were the best 4x6 I could find a the time (and they actually provided T-S specs, waterfalls, etc for them.) Unfortunately, Audax no longer makes the drivers I used.

This may be heresy, but I have been wondering if it would be possible to use a Delco 'extended range' (e.g., it has a whizzer cone instead of a tweeter) 4x6, combined with some other tweeter from Madisound or elsewhere, to do the same thing today. The Delco has a rectangular mounting plate, rather than the European oval shape. But that may not be a problem beings that lots of folks, including myself, have used "plates" in 944s. One of these days, I should visit a Pick N Pull, get a 4x6 out of a S10 pickup, and try it to see how it would fit.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:46 AM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by whiz944

... One of these days, I should visit a Pick N Pull, get a 4x6 out of a S10 pickup, and try it to see how it would fit.
Interesting, I have an S-10 with 4-speaker factory system (not Bose) and even with a puke Pioneer head unit the sound is head and shoulders above my 944's stock speakers and Blaupunkt Melbourne. The S-10 is comparable in terms of sound insulation.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:07 PM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

Well with the way I have my high pass filters set up right now I probably won't hear any difference at all. I'm letting the 10" do the low sounds. When I put some new rear speakers in then I'll readjust, but I really don't play my music loud anymore so even without the filters I wasn't getting much noticable distortion.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:23 PM
whiz944
Burning Brakes

Received 416 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Ross
Interesting, I have an S-10 with 4-speaker factory system (not Bose) and even with a puke Pioneer head unit the sound is head and shoulders above my 944's stock speakers and Blaupunkt Melbourne. The S-10 is comparable in terms of sound insulation.
Thing is, the Delco speakers suffer the same fate as the original Blaus in the 944 - over time, the foam surround rots away. So I am sure a lot of the ones you'd find at a PNP would be trash.

I actually know where there is a 924S at a PNP. It would be easy to take a 4x6 out of a S10 and walk over to the 924 to see how it would fit. Thing is, the 924 has been there for a while and there is probably no way I can get over to try it in the next few weeks. So it may be crushed first. Worst comes to worst, buy a 4x6 for a couple of bucks and take it home.

Quick Reply: Which of these speakers