Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glass sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 12:08 AM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glass sunroof

I've searched and all I can find is information on the saratoga sunroof. What I want is a piece of glass(or plastic) that fits right in and that can be sealed and done with. No more electronics to break or drips on my head. This is pretty popular among VW people because their sunroofs are even worse than ours.

Is this something a body shop can make for me? I've got some plexiglass in the basement but I'd bet it'd look silly without the arch of the roof
Old 09-05-2011, 04:01 AM
catamax944
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

saratoga also made a manual version.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:53 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if your sick of the leak, change the seal?

and yes saratoga have manual and electric versions of the sunroof. they come up for sale now and then, pricy though
Old 09-05-2011, 01:32 PM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The saratoga top is just a replacement for the sunrof you had. It'll still have seals and stuff because it functions the same way so it's most likely not going to solve your problem.

You might be able to get a glass replacment, or you can get a fiberglass skin and just epoxy it, and fill with bondo ect and paint it. I guess you could also do that with roof you have now. The usually don't leak if the drains are clear and the seals are good. Always worked on mine.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:21 PM
kombatrok
Pro

Just replace the seals and clean the drains... then convert to manual if you don't want electric...
Old 09-05-2011, 05:35 PM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

I guess I didn't explain myself very well. If I had a glass sunroof I wouldn't need the pop up feature. I want something glued in place that will never come out EVER. Mainly for weight reasons haha

And my sunroof has leaked about twice since I've owned it
Old 09-06-2011, 07:16 AM
bad_monkey
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cut and shape a piece of polycarbonate. Get the outside tinted as a protective layer (for what it's worth). Seal it in place, or add a bolt-through mount which fixes into the stock locations, or both. Doesn't sound that hard does it?

The existing sunroof adds weight up top, and in the rear for the sunroof motor. There's another thread about a CF sunroof - you'd think this would be even easier, nicer.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:40 PM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

Originally Posted by bad_monkey
Cut and shape a piece of polycarbonate. Get the outside tinted as a protective layer (for what it's worth). Seal it in place, or add a bolt-through mount which fixes into the stock locations, or both. Doesn't sound that hard does it?

The existing sunroof adds weight up top, and in the rear for the sunroof motor. There's another thread about a CF sunroof - you'd think this would be even easier, nicer.
I'll probably end up doing something like this. I'm just worried it'll look weird without the bow of the roof
Old 09-10-2011, 09:37 PM
bad_monkey
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can bend the poly if you can find a way to heat the whole sheet evenly. Easiest way would be to let gravity form it - apply heat from above, with the polycarbonate over the sunroof lid below. A couple of recycled 2kw electric heaters might do the trick, but you need to heat evenly.

You can also get special glues that essentially weld polycarb etc together - you'd want to make some locating blocks for each corner that would bring the sunroof level with the rest of the roof.

I'm not sure the best way mechanically secure it - but I do know that I'd want it to be well anchored on my car - it would be a shame for it to vanish on the motorway

Quick Reply: Glass sunroof