Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Clutch Replacement '83 Porsche 944 NA

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 03:15 AM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The arnnworx tools are really nice, and you would be supporting a fellow 944 owner! http://www.arnnworx.com/catalog/inde...80703d6d509fab
Old 09-05-2011, 09:18 AM
happyfelthappy
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I read all of his posts, he seems like a cool guy. I am a student though so can't afford to buy everything! I will try and save up for it.

Do you know if there is a quick way to check the belts? How easy is it to just take the cover off? I haven't had time to take a look.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Cover is easy to take off, but I think radiator must be removed
Old 09-05-2011, 05:09 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

the cover comes off with a handful of bolts. i recommend a 1/4in ratchet and 10mm socket.

no need to take the radiator out but you will want to remove the airbox and AFM.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:17 AM
happyfelthappy
Track Day

Found this great video on youtube, he goes into pretty good detail and gives alternatives to special tools such as a crescent wrench and 90 deg. needle nose pliers to hold the balance shaft rollers.

Originally Posted by Butters944
Cover is easy to take off, but I think radiator must be removed
Hopefully I won't have to remove the radiator, I want to open the air box and check the filter and maybe replace it since it is only like 10 bucks.

@thirdgenbird:

Thanks, I have that, I will try it this friday or saturday. I want to at least adjust the balance belt, it just whines too much.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:30 PM
kartiste
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Butters944
the 90° finger turn method
Not 90 degrees - ALMOST 90 degrees. The first time I did the belts I borrowed the tool. The second time it was not available, so I rigged up a way to load the belt with the correct force and then set the deflection. After doing so, I did the finger turn and it was almost 90 degrees. This was consistent with the method everybody uses in racing karts with belt drives - ALMOST 90 degrees.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:47 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HappyfeltHappy - If you want to meet up with some of the Bay area 944Spec Racers we are having a big race October 29-30, 2011 at Infineon raceway (more details @ http://www.944spec.org/944SPEC/news/...oint-cash-race). I'll be at Infineon on Sept 24/25 but will probably be the only 944 there. Our series director keeps a workshop in Hayward - very close to Parts Heaven that there are occasional gatherings at too.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:04 PM
happyfelthappy
Track Day

@Jerry: Cool! Thanks. I go to parts heaven all of the time now that I bought a 944. What is the workshop name?

I will try and check out the race.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:17 PM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

Originally Posted by happyfelthappy
Thanks, did you rebuild it? That is one huge feat. I am worried about doing the timing belt though. I have not much experience with that.

Almost forgot about this thread lol. I don't see anything as a "huge feat" unless it's your only car, everything just takes time. Timing belts certainly aren't as involved as replacing the clutch! I've done them on both of my cars with no tensioning tool or flywheel lock, you just have to check and recheck everything a few more times.

The arnworks tool is on my list though because I don't trust myself or a spring for too long...
Old 09-15-2011, 06:46 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by happyfelthappy
@Jerry: Cool! Thanks. I go to parts heaven all of the time now that I bought a 944. What is the workshop name?

I will try and check out the race.
Its a private roll up that he has a hoist and 4 Spec cars stashed away in.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:05 PM
happyfelthappy
Track Day

Smile

Originally Posted by ihaza944t
Almost forgot about this thread lol. I don't see anything as a "huge feat" unless it's your only car, everything just takes time. Timing belts certainly aren't as involved as replacing the clutch! I've done them on both of my cars with no tensioning tool or flywheel lock, you just have to check and recheck everything a few more times.

The arnworks tool is on my list though because I don't trust myself or a spring for too long...
Almost forgot, eh? haha Well a huge feat is one where it takes a lot of patience and time, the clutch could be done by a experienced person with the right tools in a day tops.

I hate having to do timing on cars because of the high risk if something isn't aligned right, I remember helping a friend with his maxima water pump replacement and it had a chain but the marks wouldn't line up after replacement.

it would be awesome if people in the bay area could have a timing belt party haha like i think they have on the east coast lol

Originally Posted by JerryW
Its a private roll up that he has a hoist and 4 Spec cars stashed away in.
Ooh that sounds like a batman garage or something.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:17 AM
mikemyers924s
Instructor

Did you have any trouble getting the driveshaft to fit back into the clutch housing? I'm in the middle of this project right now and my torque tube stops about an inch from being flush on the clutch housing. I'm fairly sure the clutch is centered because I used a centering tool and I am still able to fit the tool into it. I have also tried rotating the shaft to see if the splines were just not lining up correctly. That yielded no change. I'd appreciate any suggestions!
Old 04-05-2013, 01:09 AM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

Sometimes you have to manipulate the angles of the tt and the engine. It sounds like the shaft isn't going into the pilot bearing. Did you put some grease on the drive shaft? Try pushing the engine up or down slowly while trying work it in.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:27 AM
Fara
Rennlist Member

It's also worth stopping, rotating the rear tyres a few degrees, then trying again.
It might be something as simple as the splines not lining up.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:05 AM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemyers924s
Did you have any trouble getting the driveshaft to fit back into the clutch housing? I'm in the middle of this project right now and my torque tube stops about an inch from being flush on the clutch housing. I'm fairly sure the clutch is centered because I used a centering tool and I am still able to fit the tool into it. I have also tried rotating the shaft to see if the splines were just not lining up correctly. That yielded no change. I'd appreciate any suggestions!
Put the clutch slave cylinder on the bell housing and press the clutch pedal---hold it down with a block of wood between the pedal and seat.

This releases the disc and the TT shaft will slide right in.

J_AZ

Quick Reply: DIY Clutch Replacement '83 Porsche 944 NA