Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this an exhaust leak noise?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 12:54 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this an exhaust leak noise?

When I'm on the gas, if I pay attention, I can hear this noise. Best way I can describe it is if you purse your lips together and blow air out, then take your finger and move it back and forth in front of your lips quickly. Ok, how many of you are doing this at your desk right now? lol

Seriously....I get exhaust gasses into the cabin if I put the window down. I replaced the rear hatch seal a while ago. I haven't touched the exhaust system at all since I bought the car. I don't have any soot in the engine bay or around the manifold. I can't feel or find any cracks on it. I plan on doing a new exhaust and cat at some point.

I'm guessing it's a small leak out of the manifold, but I don't know if it could be something else that's making that noise? I don't really know what else it would be though. It's not loud like I would expect an exhaust leak to be.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:25 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A leak near/at the manifold typically makes a "clak clak clak" or "tick tick tick" sound that follows engine speed. A sharp sound. It may also go away slightly as the motor warms up and the metal expands.

A more muffled sound as you described..(yes I did this at my desk) sound further back in the system likely post Cat, or near the muffler. It would not take much more than a pin hole sized leak. Anything more than a few mm in diameter would be much more noticeable.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:14 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a New Exhaust and Cat!! That's my next project!

As for the Smell: There are Drain Holes in the Hatch area. One in the Spare Tire Area, and one in each of the rear fender areas... Not sure if there is supposed to be plugs in them, But i had exhaust smell for a while, especially after gettting on the Gas Hard!

I plugged these holes (with Duct Tape), and no longer notice the smell.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I want to get the Dansk and a new cat. My old muffler looks like doodoo, its all rusted and pitted and has overspray on it from some POs respray. Plus I hear it adds like 20hp.

I like the duct tape mod. Will be doing that shortly.

That makes sense you think it's behind the cat now that I think about it. It doesn't get faster with as engine speed increases, does get a little louder though. But it's not very loud to begin with.

Quick Reply: Is this an exhaust leak noise?