Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine pulled on 944, What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 06:49 PM
AndrewLang
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh I also wanted to mention our class is going to be a performance stock class. This heavily limits modifications to the car to keep costs down. So basically most of the motor will be remaining stock. The class only allows 2WD cars that are NA so we chose the 944 for its RWD and good balance and good racing pedigree.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:50 PM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't forget 4...no 6...no 8.. giant PIAA/Hella lights mounted on the bumper.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:55 PM
Keaton944
Instructor

don't forget the canoe rack! but really though, very cool! sometimes i wish my NA was a rally Porsche =)
Old 08-25-2011, 07:04 PM
AndrewLang
Advanced

Originally Posted by krystar
don't forget 4...no 6...no 8.. giant PIAA/Hella lights mounted on the bumper.
We're currently developing our own custom LED headlights which we also are using on our E30 M3 endurance road racing car. They are lighter weight, consume less power, cost less, and will have less aerodynamic drag than a standard large PIAA headlight.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:14 PM
krystar
Drifting

LED's elements that cost less than a halogen light bulb? ..... interesting
Old 08-25-2011, 08:03 PM
AndrewLang
Advanced

They probably don't but they are fairly cheap when you buy them direct from china. I guess the cost savings is in putting it all together yourself.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:15 PM
md1609
8th Gear

Not to mention, its just more fun that way :P
Old 08-27-2011, 02:49 AM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

Originally Posted by AndrewLang
If you want to sell the coolant pipe let me know, ours has some other bends in it that I don't like. e-mail me andrew at imworkingiswear.com and we can arrange something.

Are you serious about taking the belt covers off, seems like you're joking. I imagine they are important to keep debris from getting into the belts.

Looking into the MYSWISS oil pan retainer and purchasing a new oil pickup tube. We have photos of the cage going in which I may post soon.
I am serious about the belt covers. If anything does happen to the belt I'll see it within a week MAX. My other 944 that I've owned has never had it's hood closed that long.
PM's about the pipe
Old 08-27-2011, 03:02 AM
AndrewLang
Advanced

Originally Posted by ihaza944t
I am serious about the belt covers. If anything does happen to the belt I'll see it within a week MAX. My other 944 that I've owned has never had it's hood closed that long.
PM's about the pipe
For a rally car I would be worried about a rock popping up into the timing belt.
Old 08-27-2011, 02:57 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

That oil pickup tube is F*#&ED! When you get a new one, be sure to get the o-ring for it as well. Note that oil pickup tubes are different in some years, so get the right one for the year of your engine. Also, the o-rings are different so get the right one.

You can download the PDF file of the "PET", which is Porsche's parts catalog (p/n's, pics, etc) from their website:
http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessori...artscatalogue/

Those missing bolts are for a power steering bracket. The bolts also act as balance shaft cover bolts (that piece with the 4 holes is the balance shaft cover) so if you don't run AC, be sure to get some slightly shorter bolts and put them in there. The bolt sizes are in the PET.

The heater tubes rot all the time. If you find a nice one for a good price, get it, but if you can't find one, copper pipe works great. I forgot what size I used... 3/8"? Whatever it was, it was exactly the right size. I soldered on a couple of metal brackets and made it mount just like the factory pipe.

Your belt covers are mismatched. I never really noticed before now, but I guess there is an early and late version? I think the lower half is the late kind and the upper half is the early kind.

Chinese LEDs have a reputation for being dimmer than you expect, at least from what I've experienced, and read. If you do go for it, get the highest quality one they have.

944 injectors are easy to reseal. 2 o-rings, 1 plastic washer, and 1 plastic pintle cap. I haven't seen Pelican's kit but I bought a kit from rennbay, and a kit from autohausaz and they both worked, I think I had 1 spare o-ring or washer, I can't remember. Some say it's OK to run with no pintle cap, I don't know about that.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:24 PM
AndrewLang
Advanced

I've got a bit of an update on the 944 project. Although progress has been extremely slow because none of us have much time, I finally had some free time this week and spent it in the garage working on the motor. I did finally get the oil pan back on with a brand new reinforced oil pickup tube and return tube.

I came to the conclusion that whoever worked on the car before decided to bend the oil pickup tube and return tube that they had laying around so that they would fit on this car. The return tube was definitely from a different model and I believe the pickup tube was altered so they could be fastened together.

I had a oil pan baffle welded in place. I put in fresh rod bearings as well. Installing the new oil pan gasket was a bit of a pain without any kind of retainer or anyone else to help hold the gasket in place but I got it done. We also test fitted our new Hot Bits suspension and did some primer on the cage.

I then moved on to the timing and balance belts which I realized I needed to reinstall the clutch and flywheel so I could lock the flywheel in place. I put in the new lightweight flywheel and clutch that we purchased from SPEC a while back.

After I locked the flywheel in place and placed the engine at TDC I worked on removing all the timing and balance belts and rollers. I decided that since the motor was out and I was here I might as well order the updated water pump and put it in. I'm also going to order new balance shaft and crankshaft seals for good measure.

I did the oil cooler housing a few weeks ago and cleaned up that area but I believe some of the oil leak that you see in the below two pictures is from that area. Does anyone think it could be from anything else?

Today me and my dad also decided to move the engine from my friends garage to mine so I could work on it more actively in my spare time

I also don't think I ever posted pictures of our cage:

Old 01-09-2012, 10:54 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewLang
For a rally car I would be worried about a rock popping up into the timing belt.
I agree,
I run without belt covers on my 944 spec car and have done so for 10 years. Very handy, but I don't intentionally drive in the dirt with it. If I did I would put the covers back on.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:01 PM
AndrewLang
Advanced

Thanks,

I think for normal rally it would be ok especially if I cover the bottom of the engine bay area, I just worry about someone putting the car straight forward into a mound of dirt and rocks getting everywhere. I think it would be safer to put the covers back on... Meaning I should probably purchase the correct ones.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:05 PM
944_S_TYPE
Three Wheelin'

Any progress to report?
Old 07-04-2012, 01:55 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by mytrplseven

One of the things that fails, and not necessarily under racing condtions, is the oil pickup tube.

just got me thinking. wonder if you can peek inside the oil pan with a probe or dentral instrument.

my exclamation light has come on before when i was half a quart down.

Quick Reply: Engine pulled on 944, What to do?