Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rec a NYC area shop to restore a saratoga top?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 11:38 AM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Rec a NYC area shop to restore a saratoga top?

This is a little esoteric but does anyone have a good glass shop in the NYC area that they would recommend?

I've got a saratoga top that needs major restoration before it's usable (seals, metal framing, etc). My guess is that an auto glass shop could do the job, and perhaps reseal my hatch too.

Any recommendations?
Old 07-28-2011, 04:11 PM
flat12boxer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which one do you have - Bronze tint/frameless, or Grey tint/black framed? Manual or power? I have the late grey tint/black framed power top version.

If you have my version, you should be able to reseal the frame to the glass yourself if it is separating. You should also be able to sand/scuff, clean the frame with a little lacquer thinner and repaint it before you seal it if necessary.

How bad is the top? How bad is the seal? My original seal is still good, if you have to replace, you will have to use two small VW seals or find a way to make your own. Porsche does not have a replacement and you cannot get original seals anymore as Saratoga is long out of business.

You will be hard pressed to find a glass shop who will be willing to take on the job of resealing your hatch. Do a search here and read up on that portion.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:49 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Grey tint, black framed, power.

The prior owner of the top tried to do a repair with what looks like jb weld or something. It's pretty ugly.

The seal I knew about and and I have the vw part number for the seal. Surprisingly expensive for a VW part...
Old 07-29-2011, 09:36 AM
flat12boxer
Racer

Originally Posted by ninefiveone
Grey tint, black framed, power.

The prior owner of the top tried to do a repair with what looks like jb weld or something. It's pretty ugly.

The seal I knew about and and I have the vw part number for the seal. Surprisingly expensive for a VW part...
JB Weld on the seal? It could be gasket sealer if it's still flexible or a tough spongy feel. JB Weld gets real hard and JB Qwik gets plastic-y but is still just a hair flexible before it cracks.

For what it's worth, my hatch is just starting to delaminate/unseal, maybe about a four inch long section. Pissing me off to no end. I think I am going to silicone it and see what happens with the rest of the hatch over time.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:13 AM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

JB weld between the glass and metal frame. Hard as a rock.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:52 PM
flat12boxer
Racer

Originally Posted by ninefiveone
JB weld between the glass and metal frame. Hard as a rock.
Ouch. You might have a problem there. Maybe try a razor blade with a good handle and see if you can get under it? If not maybe call the company that makes JB weld for advice?
Old 07-29-2011, 12:58 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I'm thinking it needs to be grinded out of there, and even then the question is whether I'd be able to get it all out.

Quick Reply: Rec a NYC area shop to restore a saratoga top?