Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few questions about engine wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 12:59 AM
PerceptionProblem
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions about engine wiring

I just found the "publish to youtube" feature on my phone. Rather than think about how I could embarrass my friends, I realized it would make asking questions here on Rennlist SO MUCH EASIER!!!!

As such, I have put an 87 924s engine into my 85.5 944 and am having two major questions concerning what to hook up where.

The first video is showing some connector behind the water pump (ish)

The second video is showing something under the intake manifold on the block itself. I think it's the temp sender?

Thanks, everyone!!
Old 07-24-2011, 01:17 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My guesses.... The first one is the oil pressure sender and I'm not sure it matters but if it does, I think the two connector lugs have slightly different size holes and thereby correspond to two slightly different sized studs on the sender.

The second one is the water temp sender for the guage and I'm thinking your other engine had a different (2-spade) connection.... Bruce
Old 07-24-2011, 01:21 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by F18Rep
My guesses.... The first one is the oil pressure sender and I'm not sure it matters but if it does, I think the two connector lugs have slightly different size holes and thereby correspond to two slightly different sized studs on the sender.

The second one is the water temp sender for the guage and I'm thinking your other engine had a different (2-spade) connection.... Bruce
+1
Old 07-24-2011, 01:41 AM
ernie9468
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+2 LOL you guys are fast!!!!

Last edited by ernie9468; 02-04-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:50 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Ernie, you circled the wrong unit - that's the temp sensor for the DME. The unit PP is talking about is the temp sender for the gauge, which incidentally is also inside your circle, a little more rearward on the engine.

The first video is your oil pressure sender (for your oil pressure gauge in the cluster). There should be only one way to hook up the wires - one wire should have an eyelet that connects to one empty post terminal, and the other post terminal should have a male spade bolted to it, where the other wire with a female spade connects.

On yours, the eyelet-spade adapter is probably on one of the wires, hidden in the boot, so you might want to try trial and error. If you get it right, your gauge will work. If you get it wrong, the gauge won't work properly, so swap the wires.

The second video is your coolant temperature sender (for the temp gauge in the cluster). Early 944s, and apparently the 924Ss, had a sender with one terminal. The later senders have 2 terminals, the second one being a ground. I would say warm up the engine a little bit (so it's warm enough to give a gauge reading, but cool enough to not burn your hand), then try one wire at a time until your gauge reads correctly. Just leave the other wire disconnected.

You could also just use the sender from your old engine.

HTH
Old 07-28-2011, 02:51 AM
PerceptionProblem
Racer

Wanted to post a little update for those that might search this later and be helped by my plight:

I swapped the temp sender out for the one that will fit my wiring harness, and it hooked up beautifully.

Not so much luck for my oil pressure sender. :-( The post on the bottom broke off the instant I touched it to remove the bolt (I had replaced the spade connector for an eyelet one) and it exposed a wire that apparently ran the length of that post. I'm wondering now if I can solder the connector onto that wire itself for a quick fix until I can replace that unit, or if I can solder the eyelet onto the unit itself.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:15 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

That's happened to me before - I just replaced the damned unit. I figured they go bad periodically anyway. But if you can fix it with solder, go for it!

I just spent 3 days making a fog light lens when used lights are about $100... ah, the economics of being unemployed, haha.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:45 PM
PerceptionProblem
Racer

A further update: the temp sender I bought (used, trying to save a few dollars. . >.< ) has failed. it seemed to be acting improperly lately; temp rising like crazy while idling in traffic, but cooling off when moving. I started the car a few days ago after a day or so of not driving, and the temp INSTANTLY shot up far past the top of the gauge.

I'm going to order one from a local autozone, as well as a heater control valve (mine has apparently failed, which is terrible in the LA heat) I just need to find me a spot to lift up and work on my car. lol
Old 09-01-2011, 11:41 PM
kab996
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you need to bleed the cooling system. What you described is typical of air in the system.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:25 AM
PerceptionProblem
Racer

I have bled the system with a pressure-bleeder, and it didn't seem to have any air in it. . .but I may be missing something. I also got yelled at for doing this in the parkinglot of the local parts store. lololol (sorry guys)

Quick Reply: A few questions about engine wiring