Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cutting hard fuel lines...need to open/move brake lines?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 07:16 PM
danspach
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cutting hard fuel lines...need to open/move brake lines?!?

'86 951.......installing fuel parts.

...damper is on

...fuel pressure regulator is in

...jumper hose installed

Here's the issue: I have the Rennbay kit with the compression fittings and now that I've read, re-read and re-re-read the instructions from Rennbay and Lindsey I'm at a loss.

How I'm supposed to cut the hard lines without opening up the braking system to get the space I need to get the tube cutter around the fuel lines.

I have my marks staggered so the compression fittings won't by right next to each other but I'm stuck.

Last thing I want to do is gorilla the tube cutter and ding my brakes lines.

Do all of you just disconnect the line to the front passenger wheel or am I missing something. I'm using the tube cutter Travis supplies with the kit.

Everything has gone well so far and would prefer to not break something now.

Thanks fellas.

- Dave

Here's a shot of the situation:

Last edited by danspach; 07-23-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:47 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just pull the lines out of the rubber holder seen in your picture and cut one at a time. Brake lines should not get in the way at all. You are using a small tubing cutter and not a dremel correct?
Old 07-23-2011, 08:01 PM
danspach
Instructor

When I try and "lean" them out away from the fender well to cut them, the brake line that comes across in front of them at the bottom doesn't give me enough space.

definitely not using a Dremel....tube cutter
Old 07-23-2011, 08:08 PM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cut the fuel lines in two stages. First cut the top portion for clearance with any tool you choose, then pivot the fuel line out and cut at your mark with the tubing cutter.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:13 PM
royalschwarz
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Cut the rubber lines in the engine compartment and bring the ends inside the fender. You can then pull the fuel hard lines out far enough that the brake lines won't be in the way. Just don't bend them far enough out that you damage the lines further down.

EDIT: 951Saga beat me to it.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:40 PM
danspach
Instructor

I'll cut them at the top to see if that's the issue (I did read that in the Lindsey instructions but my car doesn't have ABS so there is no line that cuts across near the top) but I think it's the line across the bottom that isn't giving me the room. Thanks everyone for the responses.

Excited about the new shiny parts in my engine bay now.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:25 PM
danspach
Instructor

An update:

I cut the upper parts of the lines inside the bay. Gave me some room, some practice and some confidence to apply some more pressure to the lines. Thanks again for the guidance. Made the additional cuts and made the connections.

How do you guys deal with the crowding of all the lines together? All four run parallel (2 brake, 2 fuel). Seems the fuel lines are too close to the brake lines and don't want them to get banged up.

I guess I need to re-cut the feed line lower to get that center "nut" away from the return line? Can I re-use the ferrule/bite sleeve/"olive" once I've tightened the connection?

A few pictures:

Old 07-24-2011, 10:23 AM
danspach
Instructor

So I've answered my own question after re-cutting, fitting and testing the connection. The ferrule is a one-time use part.

Is that the type of thing I could get around me and if so what are the specs? I'm going to get both sizes (for the return line as well in case I need to re-do that one too.

I know the lines are 8 & 10 mm but anything else I need to look for?
Old 07-24-2011, 07:24 PM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

I bet Travis could send some your way.

Got mine from Lindsey when I ordered other items... REPLACEMENT 10/8MM BITE SLEEVE

ArnnWorx sells the fittings so he could probably send you the ferrule too… Fuel Line Parts
Old 07-24-2011, 07:33 PM
kombatrok
Pro

What you have pictured there will work... There is nothing actually wrong with having the fittings touching like that.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:24 PM
danspach
Instructor

Thanks for the responses guys. Travis is hooking me up with the hardware.

If I can find it around me I'd like to get it in the car sooner but if not, Wednesday it is.

Still not sure what did wrong but I'll be extra careful this time. I've read that you should tighten as much as you can and then give it another full turn to turn and a half. Does that sound right?

Thanks again Travis for your quick response and willingness to help me out here. I appreciate it.

Looking at a serious road trip on friday and Saturday and will feel much better after I've had a couple of days to shake her down.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:30 AM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Not surprised Travis is stepping in.

I would suggest splitting sections of silicone vacuum line or fuel line and fitting them around the brake lines that are contacting your fuel lines.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:39 AM
danspach
Instructor

Thanks Jason. That's a great idea. I was hoping to make the unions above the factory rubber "line keeper" so I could still use it but not gonna happen now.

Question for the group:

If I'm able to slide the bite sleeve and compression nut to the fitting and tighten it down, what have I done wrong that the compression fitting is able to be turned back and forth (and leak)?

Have I not allowed the bite sleeve far enough up into the compression fitting? I was concerned that I could see a good 4 or 5 threads on the fitting even after it was tight (I can only see one thread on the return line connection I did).

Not much line left to try it again so would like to get it right this time.

Quick Reply: cutting hard fuel lines...need to open/move brake lines?!?