Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Stop Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 06:53 PM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Door Stop Replacement

After much search throughout Pelican, Rennlist, Clark's, the factory Porsche manual, and my Haynes manual, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to replace the door stop. Well, more like attach the door stop to the door jamb. I've had my car for over 3 years and the parts for at least 2 years and have now just finally gotten around to replacing it. But anyway, the door stop needed replacing because the piece that was attached to the body of the car broke at the hinge. I took off the old one (I had to drill out the bolts) and fished out the nuts from inside the door jamb with a magnet, but then I encountered a problem. How in the heck am I gonna get the nut on the bolt? I almost need to pull off the hatch button and the carpet or the left side of the dash to get back up inside the door jamb to get the nuts onto the back ends of the bolts. I have searched high and low and I can't find anything about replacing this part of the door stop. Any help or ideas would be appreciated. And sorry for my ignorance if this is a simple fix and I just completely missed it. If I need to clarify anything, I'll do my best. Thanks Rennlisters.

As a side note, I need some bumper shocks (my bumper has been pushed in some since I got the car, but my brother just bottomed them out by backing into my 944). Anyone have any laying around? PayPal or trading parts for parts are options.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:16 PM
royalschwarz
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Someone else just went through this not even a week ago...relatively easy with the right tools.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-door-jam.html
Old 07-19-2011, 08:43 PM
sweetskillsrk
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Sorry, I must've missed this, I didn't see that thread, thanks. But that sucks. I was hoping not to have to spend anymore money on this fix. I mean I'll do it if I have to but that nutsert set tool is useless other than setting nutserts. I think I'm gonna fiddle around a little more and try and get those nuts back there, I think I can do it. How do I take off the hatch button under the dash?
Old 07-20-2011, 12:08 AM
CraigL
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You dont need to purchase the Nutsert tool. You can fashion one using a bolt and a nut that is drilled out. Try this link

I own the tool and also have used the home made one. Both worked well. Good luck!
Old 07-20-2011, 07:24 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

You can't get in from behind hatch release button, as its solid metal behind there. Nutserts are only cure IMO. The home made method(not using proper tool) won't work either as the space is too tight (again IMO). The tooless method would work fine if you had room but you don't

Try contacting all your local panel shops, to see if they have tool, or 4wd accesory fitting outlets etc. The job is pretty painless with the tool but a nightmare without. Sorry for bad news but after what I went through, I don't think it can be done any other way.

If you can find some one with the tool, it won't cost an arm and leg to get them to fit the nutserts and will save you a lot of pain trying any other way

peace
Cyberpunky

Quick Reply: Door Stop Replacement