Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this the sign of a bad/faulty DME?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 08:34 PM
PorscheHusky
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Well, first of all, that isn't the DME temperature sensor that you are pulling in your video. That is the coolant temperature sensor for the gauge. Sounds like you need to replace that, as it may be shorted internally, causing your voltage to drop when plugged in.

As far as the smoke, it looks to me like it is on deceleration, which would indicate worn rings. This looks like a totally unrelated issue to your running problem.
According to the schematics of the pre-944s that is the DME Temp sensor and the gauge senders are just behind it a little ways which are connected by spade connectors rather than a plug. but I am just going from what the schematics say as to whats what and where things are located.

That sensor has been replaced already with a new unit so I would hope it is not the problem :P
Old 07-17-2011, 08:48 PM
joonas
Racer

Originally Posted by PorscheHusky
Got them from Pelican Parts; so I trust they are the proper ones :P as most of the parts bought; from Pelican.
Is there any sure way to test for a faulty TPS?
I gave you already this link http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-ma...ure-index3.htm

Look under T.

Clark's has a lot of testing info. Use it and report back the results.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:50 PM
PorscheHusky
AutoX

Did the testing on my side and the numbers match with what Clark has written up.
On the flipside, I sent my computer to be tested while I did my own tests and to my surprise, the thing passed! So I now know there is something more to this picture than meets the eye and I am stumped at the moment.

Like I said, all other things meet specs (surprisingly) and the DME is supposedly good (the guy said he tested it on an 83 944 and it fired up no problem).

I triple checked my bellhousing sensors just in case but those are fine (I would assume since I can start the car no problem as long as nothing is in that temp sensor plug; I.E. the temp sensor or a meter) but one thing that confused me was I was able to unplug one of them and the engine was still running, but unplug the other and the engine dies. I always thought that when you unplug ither of them that the engine should die (if running) or just not start at all???

My thoughts are getting scattered here and this is becoming very irritable situation.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:30 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A couple weeks ago my car started, sat at idle for about a minute, then died... Thought nothing off it, until i tried to restart it and it would only crank; not fire up.... Pulled the DME from under the glove box, SLAP it! and like magic the car started... that week the car died several times more, with a SLAP to the DME it would start right up and drive...

Bought a Soldering Iron, and some solder...
Pulled the Board...
Sure Enough, i found a cracked solder joint (could actually wiggle it!) to a large transistor!
Re-soldered it last weekend and have had Zero trouble with the car since!!

The link below is amazingly helpful! Good Luck!
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...ed-w-pics.html
Old 08-15-2011, 12:47 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Link no work. Maybe this link ?

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...referrerid=204

or

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ferrerid=20449

John
Old 08-15-2011, 01:40 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John_AZ
Link no work. Maybe this link ?
Yes, exactly! Thanks

Quick Reply: Is this the sign of a bad/faulty DME?