Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some clarificatin ASAP Please- OPRV

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 08:48 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Personally I would remove the bottom o-ring on your early 1-piece and see if you can get it all the way down. If it binds without an o-ring or doesn't seat all the way you have to use a new sleeve IMO. There's no way I would machine or taper the sleeve and expect a good seal. The 1-piece OPRV has an internal piston for pressure control and is not as finicky like the 3-piece style where the piston has to slide perfectly against the sleeve to function. If you can seat the bare OPRV without an o-ring I would go back, install a NEW o-ring, lube that sucker up, and try to get past the tight spot since the sealing area is now at the bottom of the sleeve. The worst that can happen is the o-ring might roll back and it won't prime and you'll find out it didn't work. In the grand scheme of things replacing the sleeve is by far the best option though, as hard as that might be. Do you have the FSM instructions for doing that?
Old 07-10-2011, 03:02 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Steve, I fixed it, I never even was trying to install with the oring, I took an older slug from an early 3 piece system, tapered one end, lubed the crap out if , tapped it in about 1 mm and turned it back and forth, back and forth, on my engine stand, I put a piece of paper towel in the oprv hole just incase while i was doing this. After about 20 minutes if turning the slug back and forth, the slug started to slide in and out of the sleeve like a piston!! . So then, i flipped the slug over, where i did not taper the slug, and did the same thing, all with oil of course. and then vwalla, my actual oprv fits now without binding and slides in and out. So the only culprit that makes the most sense of it all, is, somone tried to remove the oil filter housing without realizing the oprv also holds it in place, causing the very biggining or top mouth of the sleeve to distort. and I found why my engine was binding , the teflon crank scraper needed one more cut on the #4 rod side. I also modified my oil pan gasket supports so they will fit much nicer and not cause any torque issues with the pan gasket. "borat voice" Great Success!!!!!!!
\m/
Old 07-10-2011, 04:09 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Great job on the McGyver repair Since the 1-piece seals at the bottom only you should be just fine...can't ever use a 3-piece again but who would want to anyway? I had problems on 2 cars with the 3-piece OPRV and got rid of them immediately at the first sign of oil pressure problems. Good luck on the rest of your rebuild

Quick Reply: Need some clarificatin ASAP Please- OPRV