Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do fuel pressure regulators go bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 07:51 PM
DIYguy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate asking this because I’m normally good with this stuff but I guess I had it apart longer than my aging memory works. So I have 4 parts in the engine bay I don’t know where they go. The first pic are two brackets that must hold something but what? Next is a connector that looks just like a fuel injector plug other that it’s black not brown. Last is a round 3 plug connector bit just below the pic is another one that is connected. Is this extra?

Old 04-06-2024, 12:08 AM
edalenta
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brackets are attached to the driver side of the cylinder head and are used to attach cables running over the engine block from front to back.

Rectangular plug probably has three sockets for the idle air control valve.

Round plug at the back of the head is oxygen sensor. Or, it could be for the Top Dead Center sensor that is not used by the DME.

Last edited by edalenta; 04-06-2024 at 12:12 AM.
Old 04-06-2024, 10:44 AM
DIYguy
AutoX

Originally Posted by edalenta
Brackets are attached to the driver side of the cylinder head and are used to attach cables running over the engine block from front to back.

Rectangular plug probably has three sockets for the idle air control valve.

Round plug at the back of the head is oxygen sensor. Or, it could be for the Top Dead Center sensor that is not used by the DME.
Thanks for the help. The idle air control valve is already properly connected with another 3 prong plug. This one is 2-prong just like the injectors. Comes out of the same harness on top of the engine that has the temp sensor. etc.
Old 04-07-2024, 07:23 PM
edalenta
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 87 924S model year may or may not have an additional 2 pin connector for an oil level switch. Mine does not have any additional connectors, so I don't know if it would be that AMP Junior Timer pictured or another type.
The following users liked this post:
DIYguy (04-12-2024)
Old 04-13-2024, 10:37 PM
DIYguy
AutoX

IT's RUNNING!!

Got it together last night - fuel pressure sitting right at 30 psi at idle. Not sure if the damper is bad or not. When I pull the vacuum line the FP goes up to 37. Not sure if that mean's it's working? The gauge is "vibrating" between 29 and 31 though. Drove around some tonight. A little smoky initially, but seemed to go away. I hope the small piece of tape I dropped down cylinder 4 did not make a big mess :| I definitely feel much more power out of the engine. Feels more like 150 HP now. No rich fuel smell. Still got a grind going into 2nd. Might look for some additives for the trans/diff lube. Got a new fuel filter to go on, too.

Also, I did purchase the online service manual and was able to trace the wiring. I don't believe the two pugs I have are used. The round one appears to be the TDC sensor. I guess you plug it in when working on the timing. The other plug, not sure yet, but there were some others in the wiring that were also optional depending on your country.

Quick Reply: do fuel pressure regulators go bad?