Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator replacement steps on 944S2

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Bryan Welch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator replacement steps on 944S2

Tonight, I'm going to try to pull the alternator from my 944S2. I've read the Clarke's Garage steps for this. Could anyone point me to something with some pictures and/or videos?
Old 07-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Mr.Rodgers
Instructor

Ah, I knew I should have taken more pictures when I did mine last year. I just have a few crappy cell phone pictures and no write-up or anything. I remember using someone's write-up that had some pretty bad/old pictures in it, maybe from Clark's? It was a fairly straight-forward job and I don't remember hitting any problems
Old 07-06-2011, 11:20 PM
Bryan Welch
Instructor

Well, I followed the Clarke's Garage steps, got the car on jacks, and got the belly pan removed. I'm now at step 4b in the alternator replacement guide. Next, I need to loosen the turnbuckle retaining bolt on the compressor on the far left in the photo. I'll then place a pry bar up in-between the compressor and engine, push the compressor outward a bit, and remove the bolt I just loosened. That should maintain the tension adjustment for when it's reinstalled. It was 8pm at that point, so I'll continue tomorrow.

Here's the compressor, turnbuckle, and alternator/compressor belt.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:28 PM
Bryan Welch
Instructor

The pictured turnbuckle connections turned out to be quite hard to loosen, so I instead removed the smaller bolt on the passenger side. Pushing the compressor over and removing the belt, I noticed what might have caused my alternator to go bad.

Part of the cooling hose for the alternator is missing. Can anyone tell me a part number to order here? I suppose I could fabricate something with some large heater hose...

Next, I used two 17mm socket wrenches to remove the lower alternator bolt and nut.

Moving to the top, the air box was a bit tricky. There are two 10mm bolts on the right and one more on an angle bracket about six inches underneath it. After that, three hose clamps need to be loosened. The box can then be raised and rotated so the one electrical plug may be removed by pulling off a metal clip and pulling out the plug.

Here's the air box removed showing the angle bracket that's hidden.

That exposes the alternator. Loosen the 17mm bolt on the top and use a pry bar to gently pry it off.

I pulled the alternator up and slipped some cardboard underneath to protect the hoses nearby. First, some 8mm nuts needed to be removed to take off the black plastic cover on the back of the alternator.. Next, remove the two wire connections on the back.

Looking at the alternator, it looks original.

Next, I'm visiting the only shop in town that rebuilds alternators to see if they can fix this one.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Bryan Welch
Instructor

A few details for anyone else doing this.

Alternator retaining bolts: 17mm
Air box bolts: 10mm
Nuts on black plastic cover on back of alternator: 8mm
Vent tube connection to black plastic cover on back of alternator: 2 3/8" OD
Connection to vent tube from fender: 2 1/4" OD

Quick Reply: Alternator replacement steps on 944S2