Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Realign crank girdle with engine in car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 06:28 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Realign crank girdle with engine in car?

I suspect that the front of the girdle is not entirely flush with the front of the block causing the oil pump to leak.

Is it possible to realign the crank girdle without pulling the engine?
Could the crank be strapped in place in the front and kept in place by the clutch pilot bearing in the rear while the girdle is dropped and cleaned?
Attached Images  
Old 06-18-2011, 07:15 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No the crank will drop on your head. Plus the girddle is glued to the block using the same glue as the oil pump. Engine must come out of the car to do the girddle.

Btw are you sure it was not the front crank seal? I had front crank seal leaking and it made a big mess. For a while it looked like a pan gasket. It is pretty rare to have the pump leak unless it was installed wrong. Seals however leak pretty often.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:20 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

your not gonna get anything to budge, you can try to loosen up the girdle and oil pump. then torque the oil pump, then the girdle and it MIGHT push flush. but , did you check for a overhang when you did your last rebuild? Unfortunately there is only one locator on the block for the girdle, so your adjustment is minimal,
Old 06-18-2011, 08:05 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

So it is impossible to strap the crank in to keep it in the car while removing the girdle! What a pity.

It is not the front main seal. I just had the pulleys off to check.
I know that the girdle is glued with Loctite 574. It would have to come off completely to apply new glue.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:44 PM
944hal
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much overlap do you have? Did you use the same girdle? Being forewarned, I checked my motor when I took it apart and could hardly feel the overlap. When it went back together, that was not the case. I used very fine sandpaper and a wooden block to even out the overlap. Maybe you can do something like that. Apparently, they never go back together like they come apart.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:14 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

If that lip is the cause (and that seems unlikely), then you can't and don't need to loosen the girdle in the car. Get a fine whetstone (knife sharpening stone) and mask off the area, and just sand it flat. The aluminum sands away surprisingly easy -- you can make that lip smooth as glass in a few minutes.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:47 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Thanks for your tips.
I am not sure that lip is the cause, but I'm considering all options at this point. I'll let you know what I find.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:50 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bebbetufs
So it is impossible to strap the crank in to keep it in the car while removing the girdle! What a pity.

It is not the front main seal. I just had the pulleys off to check.
I know that the girdle is glued with Loctite 574. It would have to come off completely to apply new glue.
I have had two engines where the front crank seal leaked due to grove being worn into the oil pump drive gear. So now when I replace the seal I also put in a new pump gear. No leaks.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:55 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

+1 on
So now when I replace the seal I also put in a new pump gear. No leaks.
. That is sound advice. Thankfully all my sleeves and seals are new.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:09 AM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

So I'm getting ready to tackle this job and would like your opinions on using the oil stone method mentioned in the WM. The engine is now out of the car. I'm worried I'm not going to be able to grind the girdle at straight angles to the block. Are there any other options than using a hand held oil stone which do not require splitting the block completely? Could you perhaps attach a cutting tool to the crank shaft and use that as a type of lathe?

(I do not want to split the block because all seals and bearings are new. Besides, there is always the risk I'll damage something during disassemble or assembly).

Last edited by bebbetufs; 12-27-2011 at 08:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Realign crank girdle with engine in car?