Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

968 Door Panel Fitment

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 01:26 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts
Default 968 Door Panel Fitment

Has anyone else had problems fitting 968 door panels on their 944? I'm trying to install a set on my 86 944 turbo, and it seems like most of the little screw holes are not lining up with the holes in the door -- and it is sitting higher on the door than the 951 panels. I drilled one hole for the extra push button, but most of the other holes are not lining up right... What gives?
Old 06-15-2011, 02:00 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Hmm...mine lined right up. I know thats not helpful but they should bolt right in minus the one additional hole that is needed.

Are they close and each hole off by a similar distance? Tried both sides?
Old 06-15-2011, 02:09 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
Hmm...mine lined right up. I know thats not helpful but they should bolt right in minus the one additional hole that is needed.

Are they close and each hole off by a similar distance? Tried both sides?
Thanks. I'll try the other side tomorrow. There is no pattern to the misalignment. The armrest screws go in, and a few of the screws along the bottom, but then a bunch of them don't line up well -- half an inch off here and there -- and the weather strip along the top of the panel is higher than the outer strip near the door lock button.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:47 AM
951kaos
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just finished installing a set on my 86. Make sure the metal bracket on the backside of the panel that is bolted to the top stud securing the arm rest fits into the slot in the door and is seated down; as it could cause misalignment if it is not inserted and seated; it may help if the window glass is in the up position, as the bracket acts as a anti rattle bracket for the window glass when it is in the door and may be hard to install if the window is open. Also, if you had to install these brackets; make sure you have the right one for each door, as there is a right and left side bracket. All holes lined up on my doors and I only had to drill 4 holes for screws per door (1 for the door pocket panel and 3 for securing the speaker panel). My car had holes for the front push pins; they were originally hidden by the vapor barrier plastic.

Last edited by 951kaos; 06-15-2011 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 06-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 951kaos
Just finished installing a set on my 86. Make sure the metal bracket on the backside of the panel that is bolted to the top stud securing the arm rest fits into the slot in the door and is seated down; as it could cause misalignment if it is not inserted and seated; it may help if the window glass is in the up position, as the bracket acts as a anti rattle bracket for the window glass when it is in the door and may be hard to install if the window is open. Also, if you had to install these brackets; make sure you have the right one for each door, as there is a right and left side bracket. All holes lined up on my doors and I only had to drill 4 holes for screws per door (1 for the door pocket panel and 3 for securing the speaker panel). My car had holes for the front push pins; they were originally hidden by the vapor barrier plastic.
Thanks. Mine panels had the metal brackets already installed. Good to know you had to drill for the speaker box thing. I'll try the other side today and see if maybe somethings just off with the passenger side. Are the weather strip squeegie things on top parallel to the outside weather strip squeegie things? Mine are in the middle, but it then bows up near the door lock ****.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:38 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Where did you guys find your 968 door panels?
Old 06-15-2011, 03:54 PM
951kaos
Advanced

The inside door panel squeegie almost runs a straight line from the front to the back of the window opening; where the outside follows the curvature of the door opening. The center of the inside door squeegie sits about 1/8" higher than the outside squeegie due to the door curvarure; but are pretty close to the outside squeegie height at the ends.

mwc951 - I have been looking on eBay and have seen some available; but was lucky one of the local PCA member's found a local wrecker in Vancouver, BC dismantling an 87 951 and a 92 968, so I scooped the panels as soon as I could.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

The inside door panel squeegie almost runs a straight line from the front to the back of the window opening; where the outside follows the curvature of the door opening. The center of the inside door squeegie sits about 1/8" higher than the outside squeegie due to the door curvarure; but are pretty close to the outside squeegie height at the ends.

mwc951 - I have been looking on eBay and have seen some available; but was lucky one of the local PCA member's found a local wrecker in Vancouver, BC dismantling an 87 951 and a 92 968, so I scooped the panels as soon as I could.
Yeah, something screwy with mine. I ended up drilling some new holes and shoe-horning it on, but the upper lip is still not as parallel with the outside as I'd like... Looks pretty good overall though.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:40 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I know that 968, it's the same color as mine, too bad it got wrecked, it was really nice!

With so many 968 interiors being cashmere, or some other non-944 color, do you guys just wait for black ones to come along, or do you dye the panels to match your car?
Old 06-16-2011, 02:10 PM
951kaos
Advanced

Tom
Sorry to hear you are still having problems with holes lining up. I found if the metal bracket does not engage the slot in the door (one of my panels was hard to slide the bracket into the slot), the panel alignment is off on a bunch of holes. It should be pretty straight forward; as the Garage Manual section in the Clark's Garage website for Door Panel Removal/Installation did not indicate any problems to look for.

FRporscheman
You just have to keep checking the wreckers, Craigslist and eBay and be patient; black 968 panels will turn up and you have to be quick to purchase them. There is a set available on eBay for less tha 1/2 what I paid; the only hitch is they are in Italy and I do not know what shipping and duty would be for you. http://cgi.ebay.ca/Porsche-968-944-D...item1e644a1646

Last edited by 951kaos; 06-16-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:51 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Thanks, bracket is in the slot. I've had the originals off and on many times, so know the drill pretty well. I ended up drilling new holes where needed. My car is an early 86. Wonder if the very early cars had different mounting points? Porsche was great at using up old parts before switching over. I dunno.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:36 PM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mwc951
Where did you guys find your 968 door panels?
I got a pair off ebay about a month or so ago. They are black and from a 94.
I thought they were expensive but honestly I don't know what others have paid.

Quick Reply: 968 Door Panel Fitment