Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What else should I have done?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 06:56 PM
JD 85 944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What else should I have done?

Hey guys I haven't posted in a while but have been on here a lot more lately. Anyways, I have decided that I am going to have a shop do my belts and water pump and plan on having it done soon. I am going to have the front seals replaced, the rollers replaced, the water pump replaced, the belts replaced, and the oil cooler seals replaced. My question is there anything else I should have done when the belts are being replaced, or does this plan sound about right? Some information on the car is that it only has 58,000 miles and the belt has been changed several times in its life but I believe the water pump is the original.

Thanks in advance for your responses,

-Jeff.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:55 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Check the oil pump drive gear, and if it has a groove worn into it (from the crank seal) then replace it. But at 58k miles, even if it's the original part, it might actually be OK. Just make sure the shop checks it out.

I assume (from your user name) that it's an '85? If so, then never mind... but if it's an '87 or later, you might need a new timing belt spring tensioner unit.

That's going to be a big repair bill! It's not that hard to do it yourself, if you're mechanically inclined, and there are great write-ups and people to help you, if you decide to try.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:20 PM
JD 85 944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response Arash. Yes, it is an 85/2. I know I am definitely going to be faced with a big bill and I actually came really close to doing it myself, but the biggest problem right now is that I have another project going on with at least two more lined up. So it's more of a time issue and the car is my daily driver so I want to get it done now before something bad happens such as the belt breaking or pump failing. I will more than likely try it the next time around though, as it does not seem like it would be too hard and it will save me the big bill.

Thanks again,

-Jeff.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:02 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Makes sense. Good luck with your other projects!

If you wanted to save money, perhaps there is a local rennlister you can hire to do the job "on the side". It really is a job that can be done in the driveway, and I know at least in CA there are people that like to wrench for cash...... but either way good luck.

Quick Reply: What else should I have done?