Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Seal keeps popping out!$%&&%/U%/

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 12:00 PM
F2 Iceland
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front Seal keeps popping out!$%&&%/U%/

i'm been trying to get my 2.8turbo running for some weeks now....

First time i started it. it ran for a few minutes and oil everywhere

The front seal had popped out, it was btw new..

Changed the seal, new timing belt. ran for few minutes and again the seal blows out....

Day three, put in a new oil pump, thou the old one was new also, new seal,,, no leaks, drove the car 1 mile or so, thing pops out... I've changed the oil pressure relive? valve also....

I've been trying to search for some answer, found a few with similar problems but no answer

I'm hoping somebody knows something about something

Fannar
Old 06-13-2011, 02:28 PM
daveo90s4
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There was an interesting thread recently on the 928 forum (I think, or was it on the 356 Register??) about NOT using any lubricant between the seal outer and the machined face it fits into to help prevent this very problem.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:23 PM
F2 Iceland
Pro

No lubrication has been used, and in the new pump, the seal was already installed....
Old 06-13-2011, 04:17 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Some seals are directional and are only made for the shaft to rotate one way...

However, since this has happened so frequently, it sounds more like an issue of pressure build up in the engine. Run it with the oil cap off... or something like that as a test. Crank case ventilation blocked? Any other changes you've made to either the lubrication or intake systems?
Old 06-13-2011, 06:27 PM
F2 Iceland
Pro

Originally Posted by Van
Some seals are directional and are only made for the shaft to rotate one way...

However, since this has happened so frequently, it sounds more like an issue of pressure build up in the engine. Run it with the oil cap off... or something like that as a test. Crank case ventilation blocked? Any other changes you've made to either the lubrication or intake systems?
Seal number 4 blown out 15 minutes ago, tearing it apart now....

I already did run it without the oil cap testing for pressure,

there's no crankcase pressure where the oil pump is....

I changed the oil relive valve this morning after we talked to the mech at lindsey racing... The one we took out worked and no change with the new one!!

I'm getting tired putting new seals and timing belts!!!!!

It's like there's to much oil pressure but whyyy... :/
Old 06-13-2011, 06:41 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you talking about the front crank seal? Verify it is the correct size. The dimensions should be 38x52x7.. i bought the reseal kit from LR and the crank seal provided was 38x52.2x7. I could not for the life of me get that seal in until i realized the extra .2mm was causing my problem. I am not convinced this seal would have ever fit, ended up getting the correct diameter one locally. I contacted LR about this but never heard back.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:50 PM
F2 Iceland
Pro

I'm talking about the front crank seal...

The new pump that was on had a 38x52x7

Then i bougt a new seal same size...... When that blew out i found another pump and realized the seal in that one was 52.2

So i thougt that was my problem, it was missing those 0.02mm but that was not the case

i installed the new pump and damn thing blew out aswell!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:51 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

+1 on making sure your seal is correct and not undersized in this case.
But also,
it seems that way, too much oil pressure or too much oil psi buildup from a restriction. Have you checked the actual oil pressure from the oil pressure switch port or reliefe valve port? Thead in a guage where the switch goes or the reliefe valve goes and crank the engine until you reach your highest number on the guage. That could tell you if your pressure is infact too high. Another question for you, was there a signifigant lip on the mounting face for the oil pump mounting surface ? (was there a overhang where the girlde meets the block) . And another question. Maybe, just maybe, you might have the wrong oil pump? or 2 faulty new pumps? Any pics of the aftermath?
Good luck, and interesting thread
Old 06-13-2011, 08:01 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Tell us about the crankshaft... Any cross drilling or anything? I wonder if you have a blockage in your crank that is pushing ALL oil flow to the front most bearing which is flooding the area by the front seal and causing it to blow.

The way the oil pump is, oil from the pump shouldn't get in that space. That space is the return for oil coming out of crank bearing #1.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:20 PM
Roy Patterson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this problem with an 88 2.5 the crankshaft seal pops out oil spills out within seconds of cranking.
Did you find out what the problem was?
This problem started with the original pump and woth the engine running it just popped out and continues to do so since the first time.

Quick Reply: Front Seal keeps popping out!$%&&%/U%/