Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flywheel TDC Mark

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 12:44 PM
FRZ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Flywheel TDC Mark

Ok, I replaced the reference mark sensor because I had some bad starts:

- Sometimes the car was cranking low, and sometimes while cranking low I had a weird sound like a SHCKRRRRRRR that seems to come from the flywheel.
This weird sound from the flywheel begun maybe 1 month before I replaced the sensor.

After replaced the sensor I made a road & start test. I went drive, stopped the car, start it etc.. and the car was starting #1.

1 day after the job, BAM! The car was only cranking, no start.

The problem is the injectors, they don't pulse. Many test was made:

Fuel Pump: OK
FPR: OK
Injectors: OK, really clean
Reference mark sensor: NEW -> Clearance: OK
Sensor connectors: OK
ECU' DME Injectors signals&voltage: OK

So what can be the problem??

I suspect now the mark ON the flywheel.. is its possible to be missing with dirt or maybe the setscrew..? Is it why I had a weird sound and no start??

Old 06-12-2011, 12:05 PM
1933beer
Instructor

your noise down by the flywheel when you start may be the starter. mine was doing it. When I pulled the starter to do wp and belt change I found out it was the front bushing on the starter had warn out. had the starter rebuilt and no more sckrrrrr ( i am not sure what you mean by low cranking?) I would say that I did notice that after the starter was replaced that it did turn over faster than before it was rebiult. I assume that when you say your car is cranking that the engine is accually turning and not just the starter. it could be turning and just no longer able to engage the flywheel.

hope this helps
Old 06-12-2011, 02:35 PM
FRZ
Advanced

Thanks for the reply.

Ok I will take a look at the starter, thanks.

OH! I remember I recorded 2 files with my cell phones to get the difference between a normal start and a bad start. I just uploaded them on my cumputer, here they are:

Good Start: http://www.2shared.com/audio/KYtcCi9...ood_start.html

Bad Start: http://www.2shared.com/audio/BTKYRmP...Bad_Start.html

You will ear the sckrrr I was talking about and the engine cranking low. The sckrrr was not always making this while cranking low, just sometimes. But the sound happen more frequent each week.

Quick Reply: Flywheel TDC Mark