Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

86n/a sitting level or slight rake?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 12:14 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 86n/a sitting level or slight rake?

I just read a dozen or so threads about "leveling" the car, but if I recall, North American cars have a slight rake with the rear higher for our different safety laws.

Where I'm going with this is, I "feel" that my rear ride height is higher than the front. I can see it visually, but not sure if it is TOO high or if it is where it is supposed to be.

I am also unsure if it is only the rear that is high or that the front is low. 26yrs of unknown suspension settings, on a very modified car. A LOT of weight has been removed from the rear with the whole roof/hatch/sunroof etc all gone. The soft top and fibreglass rear trunklid must weight considerably less than what was removed. My front wheels look like they are tucked up under the wheel arch, but it is kind of hard to determine as they have -2.5 degrees of camber. (rear was +.5) I had it at an alignment shop, and the rest of the settings were very good. I didn't have any camber adjusted until I have more information.

I was thinking that I would measure the front/rear rockers and left and right, and try to lower the rear so that the rockers are level, or at least until I run out of travel. I'm thinking a 1/2 inch drop should get it there.

Sound reasonable?

Oh the joys of custom cars.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:05 PM
krystar
Drifting

be sure to put a 150-200lb weight in the driver's seat when u do it :0
Old 06-07-2011, 02:14 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

200 lbs?!! I'm only 5,8 you calling me fat? j/k. Good idea though. I'd love to corner weigh it properly but I don't know anyone local that could help me out with the equipment.

BTW the car handles beautiful and smooth through some of my long time favorite corners and S's so nothing is radically out of whack. It is actually surprising how well it does handle. It would give some of my Z's a good run for the money.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:59 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Ok I got side tracked pulling a motor with a friend, but I got some time to do a bit more research.

I measured the ride height at the front and rear using the sideskirts as my guide, and found it sitting at 5", 7/8th rear and 5" front. There is a definate rake towards the front. I'm not sure if the 5" up front is lower than stock, but it seems like it is lowered slightly.

Hopefully this weekend I can pull the rear wheels off and have a look at how much adjustment (if any) is available to lower the rear a bit.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Dawgz83948
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the US Porsche was required to raise the back of the car for DOT safety reasons. On a side note can I more info on your spoiler and possibly some more pics? The back end of my cab tends to float a bit over 135mph.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:50 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IIRC, the "right" setup is done with a digital level on the inside of the door sill. Open the door and put a level on the bottom by the E-brake handle...should be level, no rake. Soft-ish stock suspension will settle a bit with a full tank of gas as well. Any adjustments front/rear will result in an alignment problem too.

Quick Reply: 86n/a sitting level or slight rake?