Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1986 Porsche NA Engine Locked

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 11:12 AM
83Porsche46060
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jharding- why did you say this?

83 944 "I'll take HP for $100, Alex"
Old 04-03-2012, 11:43 AM
davepmd
6th Gear

Hi all, Im having a similar problem with my 83 n/a. went to start it the other morning and it started, ran alittle then died. tried to start it again and it sounds like the motor is locked up. Starter tries, but engine wont turn. Pulled the starter, nothing obvious. I will get the starter checked. timing belt looks ok. Now, my clutch has been acting up lately and I was getting some whine when the clutch pedal was out. I am wondering if it finally came apart and a piece of the rubber is jammed in there. Any ideas?

thanks,

Dave
Old 04-03-2012, 02:39 PM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

when my engine did this, it was the number 2 rod bearing. Engine completely seized. Ended up buying a short block and rebuilding the motor. Yay!
Old 04-03-2012, 03:06 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having the same problem with my 86 951. https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...nk-urgent.html

I've tried turning the crank with a breaker bar from the front: with the spark plugs out, timing belt off, starter out, reference sensors out, and clutch engaged. And mine is still totally locked up.

Simply put, this is going to majorly suck.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:24 AM
davepmd
6th Gear

This morning I tried using a socket on the front pully. I could get the motor to turn maybe 1/4 revolution in each direction till it would lock. Guess I could take the valve cover off and check there. Thats easier than tearing the clutch apart.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:48 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 83Porsche46060
Jharding- why did you say this?

83 944 "I'll take HP for $100, Alex"
Its a play on words from the tv game show Jeporady with Alex Trabeck. I'd take some more hp for my car for a hundred bucks too!

This thread is getting a bit complicated. There are a few different people trying to diagnose 2 or 3 cars in the same thread... The OP's car is long ago fixed BTW.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:09 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Dave, there's no "valve cover" on this car and pulling the Cam Tower isn't going to tell you anything. With the starter removed and pulling the crankshaft through (clockwise rotation) if it doesn't turn (spark plugs out make it easier) then you got a probable issue with valves and pistons trying to occupy the same space. It it does turn, take it to TDC on the flywheel (view port on top of bellhousing) and then check the TDC mark on the cam sprocket. Either way, you'll have a pretty good ideal what's wrong. If timing looks good then #2 rod bearing could well be the culprit. Timing marks off, you've bent some valves. Good luck.
Old 11-15-2020, 12:50 PM
denney2121
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 944Time
Ok, so last night my 944 doesn't start. The engine spins, but no fire. Then, it doesn't spin anymore so I assume I drained the battery.

This morning, I put in the charged battery and the engine doesn't turn over.

I thought maybe a timing belt problem, so I pull the plastic cover and take a peek. Timing belt looks fine.

I stick the car in gear and push it back and forth from the front. This should make the engine turn over a little bit. But no movement. I pulled the distributor cap and the rotor is perfectly still, as is the engine.

At this point I can think of two problems:

1) there is something wacky going on with the starter where it got jammed in or jammed stuck and is preventing the engine from turning.

2) there is some kind of engine mechanical failure.

Now, it would be really nice if the problem was #1, but I don't think I am going to get that lucky.

As for problem #2, I can't imagine what went wrong when cranking the engine. I mean, if the engine was running and it came to a sudden halt, then I would understand some failure locking up the engine.

But the engine was just turning from the starter.

????
pushing back and forth wont do nothing at least on my 83 it wont. it has a hydraulic clutch its as if the clutch is always pressed down when the car is off. but mine will not start either i have a 83 944 and put a new battery in it and all the electronics the radio headlights everything worked but it would not turn over .i turned the crank by hand so i know the motor is not locked up so my next step is going to be the starter.

Quick Reply: 1986 Porsche NA Engine Locked