Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balance Shaft Sprocket(s) Orientation - Noob screw up

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 09:47 PM
ArcticSteve
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Balance Shaft Sprocket(s) Orientation - Noob screw up

Remove both balance shaft sprockets without marking orientation.

Then I noticed inside the sprockets there were 2 off set separate key ways and only one raised slot on the balance shaft. At this point I realized I had screwed up.

I notice on the sprockets there is an "O" stamped in each one right above one of the key ways.

Both raised slots in the balance shafts are pointing up or are on top more or less.

Is this recoverable?

and what's with the two key ways and the "0" on top of one. Don't understand the dynamics on this

Appreciate any help. Steve
Old 05-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Rudeboy42
Rennlist Member

http://clarks-garage.com/pdf-manual/eng-08.pdf This Clark's Garage article should answer all of your questions. It's a little confusing at first but it will makes sense after reading it a few times.

Don't worry I did the same thing the first time I took my balancing shaft sprockets off and ended up putting them on the wrong way and having a ridiculous amount of vibration.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:16 PM
ArcticSteve
Instructor

Rude: Really appreciate the link. Made a donation to Clark"s a few days a go. Been great so far. Perhaps a small note in the "timing belt removal" section would be warranted about marking the sprockets prior to removal. I'll forward it on to Clark. Can't imagine your state of mind when the vibration started on ya.

I haven't read the link yet. Decompressing at the moment after my first disassembly.

Quick Reply: Balance Shaft Sprocket(s) Orientation - Noob screw up