Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got end caps from Joe today

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 09:16 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Got end caps from Joe today

When I got home from work today, I had a parcel waiting for me, and it was a pair of end caps for the cargo cover from Joe Jackson here on RL. The LH OEM one, in my car has literally fallen apart since I got the car, so had to find a fix, and OEM are no longer available. I was thinking a used one was only option and was worried that even if I found one, they would be like mine, that seemed OK 6 months ok but has almost turned to powder now.

I had only used cover a couple of times when the end cap popped off. It had a big crack. I put it back on but it has since fallen off and is now in several pieces.

Anyway after searching here, looking for a cure, I came across a post that had info about Joe's replacement caps. I can't tell you how well these things are made. I am sure they will be going strong long after I have left this mortal coil lol. The workmanship is superb and I am just really greatful Joe has gone to the trouble to fabricate these, as otherwise I doubt I would have found a decent solution.

Thanks again Joe and if anyone is looking for the answer to this problem, I can whole heartedly recommend Joes solution. They are worth every cent

peace

PS I will post some pics when I get them fitted
Old 05-25-2011, 10:54 AM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh man! Great to Hear!

I have one side of mine taped with duct tape... but it falls apart a lot, and then the cover wont' retract!

Please post some pics, and maybe the easiest way to contact him!

Thanks
Old 05-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

you can PM him here, as that's what I did. Joe Jackson is his username.
It's virtually winter here now, so it's dark by time I leave work. I plan to fit them this Sunday, as that's my next RDO, and don't want to try fitting them at night. I will post pics of process and results.
peace
Old 05-25-2011, 12:03 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
you can PM him here, as that's what I did. Joe Jackson is his username.
It's virtually winter here now, so it's dark by time I leave work. I plan to fit them this Sunday, as that's my next RDO, and don't want to try fitting them at night. I will post pics of process and results.
peace
Remove the luggage cover and do them in the house (appartment, condo, cave, room, treefort, whatever)... its just 2 screws... or do you use natural lighting INSIDE too down there?
Old 05-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

yes John, we use natural light inside down here, it comes in through our windows (don't you have them there too ?). I guess I will need to light someone on fire so I can work on my car at night but thanks for the heads up
Old 05-25-2011, 12:42 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

yes John, we use natural light inside down here, it comes in through our windows (don't you have them there too ?). I guess I will need to light someone on fire so I can work on my car at night but thanks for the heads up
Maybe an aborigine, or perhaps a few other candidates I can suggest (one or two of which is actually DOWN there.. long story)

What are these newfangled "windows" you speak of????

Pull the 2 screws out, and the whole cover assy will come right out, this will allow you to rewind the spring in the cover so it will fully retract once the caps are replaced... I need to do this on both my covers (second time for one of them, but I will likely be machining some end caps from Al rather than dicking with plastic any more... as my experience has been that the plastic just doesn't last...)

Let me know if the plastic "rod" the 2 hooks are attached to breaks, and I will let you know what I just got done doing on mine for a permanent fix there too!
Old 05-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

cheers John. thats why i bought these end caps from joe, as plastic seemed like a temp fix at best. The caps are beautifully machined, and I don't have the skill or equipment to fabricate parts like this. I am clearly new to these cars, so do appreciate the advice, more experienced ppl like yourself provide. I tend to be very cautious doing things on my car as parts down here are thin on the ground, so little things like loosing a screw can be a hassle to sort out.

The plastic rod on mine does have a break at one of the hooks but was still working well enough to use before end cap failed, so would be keen to learn of your fix for that
peace
Old 05-25-2011, 01:37 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

PM on the way!
Old 05-25-2011, 10:54 PM
Joe Jackson
Pro

Originally Posted by pnbell
Oh man! Great to Hear!

I have one side of mine taped with duct tape... but it falls apart a lot, and then the cover wont' retract!

Please post some pics, and maybe the easiest way to contact him!

Thanks
Here's a link to the original thread that prompted me to make a small batch of these end caps. I had made a set as a favor for a friend a little while ago but figured no one else would be as interested in a permanent fix. Seems a few more people are than I originally thought. I need to take some better pics but you can see kind of what they look like by the pictures down near the end of the thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ent-cover.html
Old 05-25-2011, 10:57 PM
Joe Jackson
Pro

Thanks again Joe and if anyone is looking for the answer to this problem, I can whole heartedly recommend Joes solution. They are worth every cent
Old 05-25-2011, 11:05 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Joe, are they Delrin or Al?

If Al I am interested, if Delrin not so much...

Also interested in finding out how many sets you have?
Old 05-25-2011, 11:12 PM
Joe Jackson
Pro

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Joe, are they Delrin or Al?

If Al I am interested, if Delrin not so much...

Also interested in finding out how many sets you have?
Hi John,

They are 6061 aluminum and anodized black. Are you looking to purchase multiple sets?
Old 05-25-2011, 11:19 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Joe Jackson
Hi John,

They are 6061 aluminum and anodized black. Are you looking to purchase multiple sets?
PM sent...
Old 05-29-2011, 05:00 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

I got these fitted today, but had to enlist the help of my neighbour. The units Joe made come with some bolts and nuts and washers, to use instead of pop rivets, like the original end caps use. My neighbour thought we could get them in(he is a machinist) but we ended up going with pop rivets as it was just a lot easier.
I put the end caps on without the tension being changed, and am now thinking I should take that end cap off and increase it a little, as although it works, it would work better if tension was higher.

The problem. cracked and broken end cap

As John had advised me (above) it was just a matter of undoing the 2 screws(one each end), and the cover came out.

The 2 pop rivets on each end need to be drilled out, which isn't hard but they tend to spin, so a little persistence pays off

The cure. Joe Jackson's superbly made end caps.

Fitted. I needed to give the metal around the factory screws holes that attach to the seat, a little straightening, as they were no longer flat, due to normal ware and tear. This prevents the new end caps fitting properly but just takes a bit of whack with a hammer(round ended one). Once this bump was flattened the end caps fit like a glove. You can see new pop rivets in this pic

close up

a bit of black permanent marker, and they look better than new

cover in action

peace
Cyberpunky
Old 05-29-2011, 02:35 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I am tardy in posting a review of these as well. Joe sent me a set about a month ago and they are just perfect.

Works of art really, too bad no one will ever see them or know how nice they are.

Well done Joe and thanks for filling a void for the community!

Quick Reply: Got end caps from Joe today