Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange electrical problem, some lights don't work, a fuse keeps popping

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 02:52 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Strange electrical problem, some lights don't work, a fuse keeps popping

1984 944
  • The turn signals do not work with the key turned in the ignition, moving the stalk just makes the green light in the cluster come on and stay on.
  • The "parking lights" do work with the key out and the turn signal stalk moved either up or down.
  • Fuse 9, the fuse for the reverse lights, mirrors, and rear wiper, blows instantly when the key is turned.
  • The lights for brake fluid and brake pads do not ever come on.
  • The light for the seatbelt never comes on, even though the gong gongs until I buckle up.
  • The hazard lights work.
  • Cigarette lighter doesn't work.
  • The oil pressure gauge will sometimes flick around (0 to 5) super fast. It seems to happen with light throttle at like 2500 rpm.
  • I noticed that the turn signals and brake warning lights are on fuse 8, while the rear wiper, mirrors, and reverse lights are on fuse 9. I don't have a rear wiper.

I just took apart the console and put it back together. I was sure I got everything back in the right place, I even made paint marks to show me where each wire goes... Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by FRporscheman; 05-23-2011 at 06:40 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:53 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default figured out the fuse and turn signals

OK so I was looking at a fuse diagram which is apparently wrong:
http://www.944-world.com/earlyfusepanel.html

I decided to just open up my FSM pdf file to see the official fuse diagram and wiring. The turn signals are on fuse 9, not 8. Therefore my turn signals don't work because there's no fuse.

I found the short to be at the rear wiper switch. I guess I reconnected it wrong. I disconnected it, and the turn signals, reverse lights, seat belt light all work now. I forgot to try my mirrors but I'm sure they work too.

I still have the problems of the cig lighter not working (it may just be disconnected inside the console...), crazy oil pressure gauge, and the brake warning lights (pads and fluid) not lighting up. Is there anything I can do short of replacing the oil pressure sender?

Last edited by FRporscheman; 05-23-2011 at 06:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Strange electrical problem, some lights don't work, a fuse keeps popping