Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*EDIT misfire fixed* Problem with poor grounds for spark plugs in the head

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 09:00 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daveo90s4
But seriously you've got lot's going on there. You need to stop the spark lead arcing one way or another. The good used set of wires you have unfortunately aren't that good. As a temporary measure you may be able to move them far enough away from whatever to stop the arcing, but really I think you need a new set.
+1 Plug wires are no good, and at best will solve the entire problem, and at worst, will help isolate and make it easier to troubleshoot what is the problem.
Change the wires before going further.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:51 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I will order a new set of wires, and they should arrive on Friday. I agree that I need a new set for sure. I notice the Beru are much more expensive than the Bosch. The Bosch kit uses Beru ends but doesn't have the extra insulation sheath. Which set would you advise? I'm leaning towards Beru after seeing all those sparks last night.

I don't see how the head gasket could be blown between 1 and 2, if #2 shows good compression, there is no oil/water mixing, the water level is good, it's not hyrdolocking, and not blowing off the coolant cap. But hey, anything is possible. At this point it is starting to sound like either the paint has caused problems like clogging the seats or something, or a cracked head.

My dad has a boroscope. I'll borrow it.

I already tried changing plug 2 for a spare plug, and it didn't make a difference. Well I'll get the new wires on and then we'll see what happens.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:53 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought new Beru wires, new Bosch dizzy cap and rotor, and I found a spare set of bosch platinum spark plugs that looked in good shape (the set I previously mentioned was fairly dirty).

OK if arcing wasn't caused by bad wired, I thought I should check the plug gap. The brand new plugs I was using were gapped completely too large. The spare nice plugs I had had the correct gap, so in they went. With these plugs, the car ran much better.

Again I tried pulling spark plug wires and determined it was still cylinder 2 that was missing. It's running on 3 cylinders but at least now those 3 are working great. I threw on the new cap and rotor, and no change.

On to fuel. I used an LED w/ resistor in the plug for injector #2, and it blinked confirming that the injector was getting a signal. I put my stethoscope on injector 2 with engine running, heard the same clicking as the other injectors. Next thing to do was swap 2 injectors so I swapped 1 and 2, and the miss moved to cylinder 1.

I found a spare 944 2.5 injector, hit it with carb cleaner, put on 2 new orings and a new pintle cap, and slapped it in there. Now the car runs great! I found out I missed a step making my leakdown tester so I'll fix it and redo it - I'm sure it's not so bad.

I'm going to have a few words with Witch Hunter. They broke one of my injectors.

Quick Reply: *EDIT misfire fixed* Problem with poor grounds for spark plugs in the head