Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does a bad transmission mount sound like?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 04:39 PM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does a bad transmission mount sound like?

My turbo makes a pretty harsh clunk that I'm almost certain is coming from the rear of the car. It feels just like my friends FWD VR6 when it had a bad motor mount, only in the back

If I'm crusing in gear and I let off the throttle THUNK. If I'm engine breaking and I give it more than 5% throttle THUNK. It's getting pretty annoying. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this?

If I baby it I can make it feel normal, except at a stop sign.

I never launch the car after reading horror stories about dismantles bearings and snapped axles

Everyone else on this site who's had the problem has been told it's the rubber center of the clutch going bad, that's not my problem Can a spring centered clutch go bad in a similar way?

I was surprised to learn it's possible to take out the trans mount without dropping the transmission. So I'll probably do the urethane trick this weekend and see if that helps
Old 05-09-2011, 06:33 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

The last time I hear something like that I found the spare tire was loose and stuff was banging around in there. I'd, just for grins, check for anything loose in the fender well storage and spare tire area. I hope for your wallet that that's all it is.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm dealing with this issue now. I swore my "clunk" was coming from the rear. Noise made when taking off and going over rolling bumps. After careful listening, turns out that the right FRONT strut housing is covered in oil, and the strut insert must be knocking around in the housing.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:05 PM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

Originally Posted by Lizard944
I'm dealing with this issue now. I swore my "clunk" was coming from the rear. Noise made when taking off and going over rolling bumps. After careful listening, turns out that the right FRONT strut housing is covered in oil, and the strut insert must be knocking around in the housing.
My noise has nothing to do with bumps, I'm certain it's something drive train related because of how it behaves

I just pulled the inspecion cover off the tranny for the hell of it and there was a football sized mouse nest in there! Hope the little sucker didn't eat up my bearings

Other than that there's relatively little play in everything
Old 05-09-2011, 08:48 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Before filling my trans mount, I could move the transmission side to side over an inch. Now, it does not move at all. How are you motor mounts?
Old 05-09-2011, 09:41 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at the rear brake pads if its a 944 Turbo.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:41 AM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

Originally Posted by arthropraxis
Before filling my trans mount, I could move the transmission side to side over an inch. Now, it does not move at all. How are you motor mounts?
That's about as much as mine moves now. It doesn't seem to be that bad of a job.

Brake pads?? Uh, they're pretty nice, lots of material left, I guess
Old 06-07-2011, 12:02 PM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

Just as an update, the problem was a very badly worn cv joint. It feels like a new car now. I only wish I would have waited to fill the transmission mount so I could have had a better before and after but it feels pretty nice
Old 06-07-2011, 01:30 PM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Originally Posted by ihaza944t
Just as an update, the problem was a very badly worn cv joint.
Glad it worked out!

Can you describe the repair specifics for those of us facing CV updates?
( eg: Cost, Time, DIY or Shop, Items replaced, OEM or not Parts, etc.. )

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2011, 01:38 PM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

Originally Posted by VirginiaF1
Glad it worked out!

Can you describe the repair specifics for those of us facing CV updates?
( eg: Cost, Time, DIY or Shop, Items replaced, OEM or not Parts, etc.. )

Thanks!
The whole job takes me about 30 minutes but I've done it way too many times. It's not very difficult as long as you have the right tool for the bolts and some snap ring pliers.

Why would you want to replace all of them? With the rear of the car in the air it's pretty obvious if one is bad when you spin the wheel by hand. They're pretty costly, it's $91 for one joint or $230 for the entire assembly(2 cv joints and an axle) but well worth it in my scenario!
Old 06-07-2011, 04:30 PM
VirginiaF1
Racer

Cool.. not being a DIY guy myself, I'm trying to determine the best course with now 230,000 on the original axles. Both inner boots have slight grease weepage at this point but neither are noisy when hand-spun.
Have used 3 Local indy Porsche shops here in Richmond but none prefer re-packing over simply installing new GKN's...

Ring/Pinion noise while driving is pretty loud but slow speed turns yield no thunk/click noises from rear end...

I am a novice.. thanks for advice.
Mikey
Old 06-08-2011, 02:18 AM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lizard944
Update: My clunk turned out to be the right inner tie rod. It must've got the crap kicked out of the inner ball/socket because of a completely dead strut insert. And I hit plenty of potholes this spring.

Quick Reply: What does a bad transmission mount sound like?