Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice needed, removal of horn contact

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 10:56 AM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed, removal of horn contact

Hey guys need to remove the horn contact from my parts car. Looked at it last night and don't see how it comes off. This is being sent to someone here and I want to make sure I don't mess it up removing it. This is on the column after you remove the steering wheel.

Here is a pic of the part from 944 online.

Any advice much appreciated.

michael
Attached Images  
Old 05-10-2011, 05:31 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

bump
Old 05-10-2011, 07:36 PM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

There's two types. One is held on by tabs. To remove this type, you twist the horn wipe 1/4 turn and pull it out.

The other one is held on with a circlip. To remove this one, you pull off the cardboard cover that is on the top of the assembly which will reveal a small slot. You'll see the pin from the horn wipe through the slot along with the circlip and a washer. You'll have to use a jeweler's screwdriver to finesse the clip off, then the horn wipe pulls straight out. Make sure you don't lose the circlip and washer - you need to send it with the horn wipe to the new owner in case he needs it.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:25 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CurtP
There's two types. One is held on by tabs. To remove this type, you twist the horn wipe 1/4 turn and pull it out.

The other one is held on with a circlip. To remove this one, you pull off the cardboard cover that is on the top of the assembly which will reveal a small slot. You'll see the pin from the horn wipe through the slot along with the circlip and a washer. You'll have to use a jeweler's screwdriver to finesse the clip off, then the horn wipe pulls straight out. Make sure you don't lose the circlip and washer - you need to send it with the horn wipe to the new owner in case he needs it.
Ok can turn it alomost 1/4 counter clockwise before it stops against the shaft. But it still won't come out. I guess I have to remove the entire assembly that holds the turn signal arm, cruise control arm etc.

michael
Old 05-18-2011, 01:23 PM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Bump...I really need to get this done and get the parts in the mail. Am trading 'baseball cards' with another member here.

Anyone have any other ideas on how this comes off/out? It's small, and 25 years old, and I don't want to f it up while getting it off.

Thanks for looking,

michael

Quick Reply: Advice needed, removal of horn contact