Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.5 vs 3 inch exhaust on an N/A

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 01:24 AM
pkt1213
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious on the muffler too. The PO put a muffler and tip on my car and I dislike driving it on the interstate. It's LOUD and bugs me. I was thinking about just having a resonator put in but I'm always open to ideas.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:38 AM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by hopps
My problem is, that if there really is no gain from a bigger exhaust, and you may actually lose power, why would reputable companies like Lindsey and MSDS even make or sell these products? That part doesnt really add up, but I do understand that there is such a thing as TOO big, and that could cause severe problems.

Would it help anyone if I got a before and after dyno test? My car is completely bone stock, minus the flywheel and throttle cam :b Or if anyone has done this all ready, can they post results? I trust all of you guys, and I understand that going bigger could cause problems, but I wouldn't mind seeing the cold hard facts.

Also, Fun944 and white924s, which magnaflow muffler are you running?
I'm running the Magnaflow muffler that Lindsey sells. I wish I had more quantitative numbers to tell you about the exhaust, but my car basically came with the MSDS headers, so I don't have a lot to compare to. I can tell you that the car runs fine with the exhaust, and there are no severe problems (just ask the 911 drivers I was keeping pace with at my last DE )

Also, with 25 year old engines, internal parts get worn out, so in many cases, the best thing you can do to get more power is simply rebuild the engine so that it is running to spec.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:36 PM
kombatrok
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A car should only be loud if its got the speed to back it up.

And the companies sell the big exhausts because people buy them...
Old 05-07-2011, 05:08 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Shea

....when you get too BIG you lose velocity and therefore the ability of the exhaust system to SUCK the air out of the cylinders. So it requires the engine to work marginally harder to PUSH the gas out of the cylinders and through the exhaust system. If you get too SMALL it will give you more velocity but it will be restrictive and your volume will be way down. Then the air in the cylinders is backed up and again the engine has to force it out of the cylinder and through the exhaust.

Think of syphoning gas.. with a narrow hose you can easily get suction, it's just going to take forever to flow through it. With a huge hose you'll be hard pressed to get suction but if you did you'll flow a lot of fluid.

Some one please feel free to correct me.

in other words you read post # 6 but you wanted to get your post count up. :

Quick Reply: 2.5 vs 3 inch exhaust on an N/A