Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idea: Active Aerodynamics on a 944

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 05:22 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Well you could just flip the lights up.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:23 PM
alex
Almost Addicted
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Funn944
Are you really going to go fast enough, often enough, to make that useful, and not look like a rice cooker add on ?
My main criteria for any mod is what other people will think.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by pnbell
Testing and tuning it for actually results might start cost monies;
I don't think there is much to tune.. Lift as big flat surface as possible and let it brake as long as your stop lights are on.

The problem is that actuators should be FAST and stronger than resistance of air at high speed. And that means STRONG. Actuators that can do that can make sense (price-wise) on pagani, but on 944 Cayenne calipers make more sense.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:53 PM
Funn944
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I'll retract my reply and change it.
Are you really going to go fast enough, often enough, to make it useful ?
I apologize to any rice cookers that I offended.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:02 PM
IMB951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you read my OP, I was conceptualizing this from the beginning for a 944 race car, that theoretically would go fast enough, often enough, to make it useful.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:10 PM
IMB951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Voith
I don't think there is much to tune.. Lift as big flat surface as possible and let it brake as long as your stop lights are on.

The problem is that actuators should be FAST and stronger than resistance of air at high speed. And that means STRONG. Actuators that can do that can make sense (price-wise) on pagani, but on 944 Cayenne calipers make more sense.
I agree. There are still a good number of 944 racers that I think would at least consider trying it if their rules allowed it, after spending $10k+ on a race build.

Extreme example of how concept aero mods can make real world positive results:

More info on above car

From the site:
That front wing, dubbed the “fwing”, is the reason why Chris holds the time attack record title for the Fastest Lap in a Front-Wheel-Drive (Unlimited Class), with a time of 1:27.30, performaed at Willow Springs International Motorsports Park.

Last edited by IMB951; 04-28-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:45 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

The older Mitsuibishi had some active aero didnt it? Maybe the 3000 GT in top trim or something like that. Not as complex as you describe now and certainly not supercar level.

I had a girlfriend whose dad owned the place so we had one out several times. At high speed. Damn thing had twin turbos. That was back when I was high speed and low drag or something like that . I dont remember all the in and outs of it - but you might have a look at it.

For as good a car as that was it is surprising that Mitsuibishi did not do better. I know they had some real behind the scenes financial messes ongoing, and that car was heavy too, but man it had some stuff on it at the time.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:44 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sydneyman2007
Alright stop beating around the bush joka. Who are you talking about!?

Originally Posted by krystar
i don't think u'd need endless budget. a trip to the drag strip would be enough. thing is...can you find an angular or linear actuator provide enough torque to actually move the wing at speed and can be still packaged into the the wing..
Endless budget, nope.. drag strip.. Nope (no need for massive downforce at the drag strip, aero mods do very little for 1/4 mile car under 150...) additional downforce can be useful for a slower car, when trying to load the rear suspension say for turns, or when the rear end might traditionally be lightening...

Originally Posted by hevquip
when i go fast...i pop up the sunroof...for that extra downforce...

(and on a side note, ever notice how scary it is going over 75 MPH without the sunroof in?)
This actually does more harm than good above 80 in our cars as it causes worse airflow than otherwise is traveling over the rear of the car... or so I have heard anyway... might have seen a movie about it once...

Originally Posted by racer
Slowing a 250mph supercar, it might make sense. Slowing a car from 100mph? might not get the same benefit. As to placing something IN FRONT of the windscreen, I'd want to make sure it doesn't snap off and crash through your skill. Rear spoiler would make more sense.

On a Turbo, I don't know how you'd have room for a front unit like the photo shows given the motor, radiators,engine cooling air intakes ect.
You might be surprised at how massive the effect can be much lower than 250... and for more reasons than just slowing the car down...

Originally Posted by Lemming
Legal in NASA GTS. I could see it as a real advantage under braking, and I'm thinking about just the movable wing.

Originally Posted by Funn944
Are you really going to go fast enough, often enough, to make that useful, and not look like a rice cooker add on ?
Street, track, occasional Sunday drives with friends... YES, the answer is yes..

Does anyone here, ever go fast enough for a splitter to be relevant? (I'll help out here... the answer is still yes)...

NOW here is an interesting twist to the OP post... how about not only an aerobrake, but an auto-adjusting spoiler, and auto-adjusting splitter, both having user definable extension and retraction curves based on separate input signals (speed, air pressure, braking, etc..)?

How does THAT idea strike anyone??

BTW, I'm just musing out loud here...
Old 04-28-2011, 11:47 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by IMB951
If you read my OP, I was conceptualizing this from the beginning for a 944 race car, that theoretically would go fast enough, often enough, to make it useful.
Why would your thoughts or ideas be limited to race applications? IMHO there is PLENTY of use for this type of setup in a street car... more applications for higher strength materials and such in a race application, but plenty of street uses for something of this nature..

Or so I have heard...
Old 04-29-2011, 12:06 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by alex
My main criteria for any mod is what other people will think.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:08 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

[QUOTE=JohnKoaWood;8511421

NOW here is an interesting twist to the OP post... how about not only an aerobrake, but an auto-adjusting spoiler, and auto-adjusting splitter, both having user definable extension and retraction curves based on separate input signals (speed, air pressure, braking, etc..)?

How does THAT idea strike anyone??

BTW, I'm just musing out loud here...[/QUOTE]

________________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________

The auto adjsuting spoiler (at speed) and the brake and steering is what was on the Mitsuibishi 3000 GT Twin Turbo. But not user definable. Based on speed.

But that was before the iphone. I am sure there will be an app for it soon. Lets see how is my speed, pressure, ........oh crapola just missed the turn.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:43 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by IMB951
I agree. There are still a good number of 944 racers that I think would at least consider trying it if their rules allowed it, after spending $10k+ on a race build.
Lol $10k

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Nice throw to Freddie. Pity no-one round here will know who the hell he was.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:08 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Lol $10k

Nice throw to Freddie. Pity no-one round here will know who the hell he was.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:25 AM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

The Chrysler Crossfire has a speed sensitive wing. If they can do it, why can't we?

I love custom fabrication discussions, and I love Aero discussions. For me, the theoretical type discussions are usually the "bench racing" kind of talk during the winter months, but what the heck Go for it! I could list a ton of reasons not to do it, but it is much more interesting to think of the reasons to do it instead!
It is a bit over the top for a street car (not that it ever stopped me before) but quite useful and interesting/exciting to work on for a race car/fun track car. Making it work off the brake pedal is a good idea. Tap the brakes lightly, and the "flaps" do a partial peek up, stand on the brakes hard, and get full flaps until you get off the brakes! Simple controller. Where and how to mount the flaps, and for a street car how to make it look good, as opposed to some mad max looking contraption would take some thought.
The front header panel would be a good place to start. Cut it out and make it stand up!
Old 04-29-2011, 08:33 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

**** a crossfire.. Boxters and 911s get them, why not us?

Quick Reply: Idea: Active Aerodynamics on a 944