Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how does the oil level sensor work?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 04:05 PM
jblobner
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New sensor, same problem

Ok so I put a new sensor and the light is still on.
  • Light is out when the key is in accessory mode, comes on when the engine starts.
  • Oil level is just past full on the DS.
  • I can ground the lead(yellow wire) and the light stays off.
  • I have a new ground cable from the battery to the bell housing. I have checked the grounds as best I can. Is there a ground point accociated to the oil level sensor?
  • The only other wired thing that is happening is the AC slows during acceleration. Other than that all is working as it should.
Any thoughts?

Old 02-06-2019, 02:43 AM
aussie944cab
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jblobner
  • I have a new ground cable from the battery to the bell housing.
  • Is there a ground point accociated to the oil level sensor?
Any thoughts?
There are 2 (thinner) ground wires to the right of the (large) ground strap, one of those is the earth going to the sensor earth ring,
try running a ground wire from the battery neg. to one of the 3 screws/bolts holding the sensor on the sump,
Old 02-06-2019, 02:54 PM
jblobner
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update

Thanks for the reply. I found the 2 ground wires. One is connected to the same post as the main ground and the other is connected to an adjacent post.

I cleaned both grounding points. The wires look solid between the grounding points and where they go into the loom. I tired to trace them through the loom into the cabin, but I loose site of them. Do you when they go once the come through the fire wall?

I did run a ground from one of the bolts to the negative battery terminal and the light is still on, so no change.

​ I did run a ground from the lead that atteches to the sensor and light is off. Not sure what that tells me. Any thoughts?

​​
Old 09-30-2022, 11:22 AM
aussie944cab
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm now chasing this issue on mine now, one thing I have found is that there is a "processing" board inside the cluster, which processes various circuits (brake pad wear, brake fluid, oil pressure indicator and the oil level light) these circuits all have one thing in common, they fail safe, ie, if a wire breaks or fails then the warning light illuminates, I have more tests to do before I remove and take apart my cluster, but it's something for people to bare in mind when diagnosing warning lights

Quick Reply: how does the oil level sensor work?