Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Koni Yellow Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011 | 10:38 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Koni Yellow Install Question

One of my projects for tomorrow is to install Koni yellow rear shocks. Before taking a crack at adjusting the shocks, I pulled out of each shock a white, plastic disk and a 2.75" long piece of pink rubber/foam. They look to me like they're just there for packing, but I wonder if either of thest things or both should be put back in for installation???

The piece of rubber seems pretty soft to perform any function, but I've been reading about "bump stops" and wonder if that's what this is.

If both of these things go back in, which goes first? Rubber thingy in first to the top of the shock, then the plastic disc?

I generally consider myself reasonably intelligent, but I find the Koni instructions to be useless.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 04-19-2011 | 10:47 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

It has been awhile since I have done this, are you able to post pictures?
Old 04-19-2011 | 10:57 PM
racer
Drifting

This car sounds like its becoming a threat to the local PCA AX class.. I recommend enough mods to bump you to "improved" vs P2

Sounds like fun. Sorry I don't have an answer for you.
Old 04-19-2011 | 10:59 PM
Hollywood D
Burning Brakes

I just replaced my rear shocks the other day. They aren't konis so I'm not familiar with those. But it's just a simple bolt on. There's no bump stop for the shocks. They are mounted to fixed brackets. You might bottom out the shock but it won't bump against anything.
Old 04-19-2011 | 11:02 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mark Hubley
One of my projects for tomorrow is to install Koni yellow rear shocks. Before taking a crack at adjusting the shocks, I pulled out of each shock a white, plastic disk and a 2.75" long piece of pink rubber/foam. They look to me like they're just there for packing, but I wonder if either of thest things or both should be put back in for installation???

The piece of rubber seems pretty soft to perform any function, but I've been reading about "bump stops" and wonder if that's what this is.

If both of these things go back in, which goes first? Rubber thingy in first to the top of the shock, then the plastic disc?

I generally consider myself reasonably intelligent, but I find the Koni instructions to be useless.

Thanks,

Mark
Rubber thingy to the top then the disc sits between the rubber thingy and the shock body. If you have a look at the disc you'll see it is convoluted. The disc stops the rubber thingy from forming a vacuum seal when it expands and sucking the shock fluid out through the shaft seal.

Yes, the rubber thingy is a bump stop. It is made from polyurethane foam. If it is tapered, the tapered end goes towards the shock body and the blunt end towards the top of the shock.

Agree on the useless instructions. Be carefull when adjusting the shocks as it is possible to go too far and wind the piston off the rod. The shock should not rattle if you shake it....

Cheers,
Mike
Old 04-20-2011 | 08:32 AM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's a pic:

I can't say either end is tapered, but there is the groove around the circumference. Does it matter whether the groove goes toward the top or bottom?

Dave--As far as the continued mods go, I'm working on it. My savings account has already taken a hit! Next on my wish list is replacing the 15x6, 195/65 wheel-tire combination.

FYI, here's what I've done to the car since purchase:
Timing belts/water pump
Motor mounts
951 sway bars
Tie rod ends
Ball joints
(Sticking with original control arms at this point. Maybe new arms/bushings later.)
220lb front springs
Koni yellow all the way around
Old 04-20-2011 | 09:42 AM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

yeah that stays!

but how did you get it out without flaking paint all over the place! i had the same question but by the time i took it out and put it back in, there wasn't much paint left...
Old 04-20-2011 | 12:20 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Agreed, those are internal bump stops... leave em in.
Old 04-20-2011 | 12:41 PM
pnbell
Burning Brakes

I just installed these exact shocks on my rear end. As said: Those are bump stop piece which need to go back in after adjustment. (But you did need to take them out in order to adjust them.)

To Adjust: You simply put the bottom of the shock on the floor and compress the shock by hand.
Once compressed you rotate "Clockwise = Firmer CounterClockwise = Softer ".

With mine: I Turned them Clockwise until i felt them stop and then turned them CounterClockwise a quarter turn *Setting the shock to full hard is supposed to be bad for it...

You should be able to tell if you making the adjustment. It should not be hard to turn, but don't force it.

Try setting it soft, and compressing the shock, then set it hard and compress the shock. There should be a noticable difference!

Good Luck, and Enjoy!

p.s. I just installed a Turbo rear sway bar on my car last night, and it is amazing how it helped the handling!!! p.s. Clutch is also in!
Old 04-20-2011 | 12:59 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pete--Good news on the clutch. Loads of fun, eh?

I guess I may have to experiment some, but I set them all the way soft, then backed off 1.5 turns. We'll see how that works.
Old 04-20-2011 | 07:03 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mark Hubley
Here's a pic:

I can't say either end is tapered, but there is the groove around the circumference. Does it matter whether the groove goes toward the top or bottom?

Dave--As far as the continued mods go, I'm working on it. My savings account has already taken a hit! Next on my wish list is replacing the 15x6, 195/65 wheel-tire combination.

FYI, here's what I've done to the car since purchase:
Timing belts/water pump
Motor mounts
951 sway bars
Tie rod ends
Ball joints
(Sticking with original control arms at this point. Maybe new arms/bushings later.)
220lb front springs
Koni yellow all the way around
The disc is a bit cheaper than they used to supply but the principle remains the same. The groove in the bump stop is designed to locate in the shock "can". Look closely at the shock and the orientation of the bump stop should become clear. Not critical though.

Good luck!

Mike
Old 04-21-2011 | 04:52 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

++ for Koni's instructions being useless... I think they hired the guy who wrote the instructions for Ikea.

Just installed the paragon Koni hack in the front today and, in the Koni instructions, step 7 is a picture of... something I cannot Identify, and there's an arrow pointing to it from a large, bold-face question mark. WTF does that mean?? Thankfully Paragon has instructions in ther tech-session and they made sense.
Old 04-22-2011 | 01:20 AM
89-944NA
Track Day

The groove around the bump stop goes up into the upper shock housing, it groove will seat around a corresponding "band" inside the upper housing, keeping it in place instead of flopping around on the shaft.

@sydneyman2007, if you are asking how he got the bump stops out, there is a small hole in the top of the upper housing, take a long narrow diameter punch, put it in the hole, and push the bump stop out.

@pnbell, I have been running mine at full hard for over 5 years on all 4 corners, and the shocks have held up just fine, and that's on a street/track car.
Old 04-22-2011 | 01:23 AM
89-944NA
Track Day

anyone looking for a NIB pair of Kokeln A-Arms? I have a set of the short (86) arms, never installed, complete with monoballs, rod ends, pin and caster blocks.

Quick Reply: Koni Yellow Install Question