Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i need an A/C compressor!! have interior parts for trade/sale also

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 12:09 AM
TheDice951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need an A/C compressor!! have interior parts for trade/sale also

i have been trying to figure out why, last year, my A/C wouldnt get below 70 degrees and then it finally just quit. well i removed every component for the a/c and found that nothing was clogged like i thought it might be. the compressor on the other hand is siezed and thats why my a/c stopped completely. i was reading up on it and the factory compressor is designed for R12 only and it was "converted" to R134 and i am sure that was the culprate.....

i need a working compressor and i am buyinga "freeze 12" kit and getting my a/c working again!!

so if anyone here has an A/C compressor that is in working order please PM me with a price....

i do have a few interior pieces i may trade if interested http://raleigh.craigslist.org/pts/2308857356.html

Last edited by TheDice951; 04-17-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:29 AM
F40LM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheDice951
i have been trying to figure out why, last year, my A/C wouldnt get below 70 degrees and then it finally just quit. well i removed every component for the a/c and found that nothing was clogged like i thought it might be. the compressor on the other hand is siezed and thats why my a/c stopped completely. i was reading up on it and the factory compressor is designed for R12 only and it was "converted" to R134 and i am sure that was the culprate.....

i need a working compressor and i am buyinga "freeze 12" kit and getting my a/c working again!!

so if anyone here has an A/C compressor that is in working order please PM me with a price....

i do have a few interior pieces i may trade if interested http://raleigh.craigslist.org/pts/2308857356.html
PM sent.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:51 PM
DarylJ
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

i am buyinga "freeze 12" kit and getting my a/c working again!!
Please don't do that. There is nothing wrong with a properly done R-134a conversion other than the reduced cooling at low speeds. If you spend more of your time moving, you'll be fine. If you spend most of your time stuck in traffic, get it charged with R-12. It should be under $150 worth of materials, as opposed to $30 of R-134a.

You can't ever recharge Freeze 12 (the gas mix permeates the hoses at different rates, so a recharge just ends up with having the wrong gas mix - you need to fully vac and start over to get it right), and it doesn't work any better than R-134a. It is just compatible with mineral oil (like R-12), where R-134a needs PAG oil. And it sounds like you already have PAG oil in you system from a switchover.

Also, no one wants to vac Freeze-12, because most "automatic" vac/chargers filter the outgoing refrigerant and put the it into a recovery container for immediate re-use. They have to find another bottle that they can't re use for Freeze 12 and hook it up to the machine or they'll contaminate every last bit of refrigerant they have in their normal bottle......or find the standalone vac, if they even have one (most shops no longer do, because with the auto machines you basically need 2 hours of training to at least temporarily "solve" most AC issues as opposed to actually needing to know what you're going with gauges and standalone vac pumps).
Old 04-17-2011, 04:28 PM
TheDice951
Racer

thanks for the input.... i would rather have a shop do it anyway.... with all the new/working parts on there if for some reason it doesnt work right it will be up to them to fix it....
Old 04-17-2011, 05:51 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1+ R134a

My vent temps on the converted '87 924S I did & my 1998 factory installed R134a Cherokee I service (pic) are similiar...

John
Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2011, 11:48 AM
TheDice951
Racer

i am not saying that r134 doesnt cool enough?? i am saying that since the compressor is designed for R12 if you dont convert the A/C properly it will ruin you compressor.....
Old 04-20-2011, 12:28 PM
DarylJ
Rennlist Member

i am not saying that r134 doesnt cool enough?? i am saying that since the compressor is designed for R12 if you dont convert the A/C properly it will ruin you compressor.....
The compressor isn't "designed" for R-12. The system is designed for R-12. It doesn't have enough surface area on the condenser to cool properly at low speeds or standing still with R-134a. The compressor would be the same either way.

There is no "conversion", just proper evacuation and removal of any residual mineral oil because R-134a doesn't mix properly with mineral oil and requires PAG instead. All you need past that are coupling converters.

There were rumors that someone found a way to stick a condenser from a Pontiac Sunfire or something up front, but it just seems like too much trouble to me while R-12 is still available.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:36 PM
TheDice951
Racer

ok, thats cool. i was just looking on the compressor and it says r12 only on the back of it. so could it be possible for my A/C to have only been able to hit 70 deggrees because the compressor was on its way out? i worked at auto skills center at an Air Force base when i was stationed at Dyess afb in texas, i know how to use the A/C machine and i did a recovery and a 30min vacuum on the system and checked for leaks as well. all checked good and i filled it with new r134 at the specs given on AllDataPro.com and it never got any colder than 70 degrees? i just thought it was the expansion valve or a clog but all looked good and were clear when i removed it all last week. so, would the compressor have caused that?
Old 04-20-2011, 12:41 PM
DarylJ
Rennlist Member

ok, thats cool. i was just looking on the compressor and it says r12 only on the back of it. so could it be possible for my A/C to have only been able to hit 70 deggrees because the compressor was on its way out? i worked at auto skills center at an Air Force base when i was stationed at Dyess afb in texas, i know how to use the A/C machine and i did a recovery and a 30min vacuum on the system and checked for leaks as well. all checked good and i filled it with new r134 at the specs given on AllDataPro.com and it never got any colder than 70 degrees? i just thought it was the expansion valve or a clog but all looked good and were clear when i removed it all last week. so, would the compressor have caused that?
Sounds like your compressor isn't working very well. Was it cycling properly (not short cycling or anything like that)?

Did you put gauges on it while it was running? Diagnosing without doing that is just flying blind. I won't be able to help much past guessing if I don't know what pressures its running at while running.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:05 PM
TheDice951
Racer

it was a year ago since i put the machine on so i dont remember.... since the compressor is shot now i will get a new compressor, dryer and expansion valve and clean out the evaperator and see what happens... i will take it to a shop here to vacuum it out and fill with either R12 or R134.... i will talk to the A/C shop and see what they recamend...

Quick Reply: i need an A/C compressor!! have interior parts for trade/sale also