Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IceShark headlight harness question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IceShark headlight harness question

So, I have a question for Mr. Dan (R.I.P.) but I know he's unavailable to answer. Maybe one of you who was lucky enough to acquire one of his headlight kits will be able to answer it for him.

So, I'm making my own headlight harness based upon several generic diagrams and posts here on rennlist as well as on pelican. I'm pretty handy with wiring, and I have a degree in computer/electronic engineering (which might help). The question I have is: where did Dan put the new relays? Every write up I've seen on home made kits is clearly designed for an N/A and puts them where my intercooler lives. From what I've seen of Dan's work, I'm pretty sure he would have thought of this...

This also brings me to my next question... I have just installed what may well be the last IceShark power and ground kit roaming free... The P.O., of my car had it and I just got around to installing it. I took detailed notes on it's construction and could probably reproduce it. Assuming people are interested, and no one else has already done it. I really don't want to steal Dan's design for my own profit ('cause that's dirty, and probably some measure of illegal... but mostly because I'm not an a-hole). So, I'm wondering if anyone knows how to get ahold of his family to discuss how to handle the continued distribution of his excellent product.

There is one further problem with reproducing Dan's kit... Dan used EXTREMELY high quality components, and I'm having trouble sourcing them... at least in reasonable quantities at prices I can even begin to afford. For example, Dan used a product called Ex-Flex for the sleeving of the wires... it's super tough and very heat resistant. However, I can only find it in spools of hundreds to thousands of feet and at prices around $1 or more per foot. Also, High quality, high heat rated, large gauge wire is also rather spendy. So, if anyone has sources, that would be great.

Again, the only reason I would reproduce the kit is because I think (and I think Dan would agree) that these cars deserve better wiring than 20+ year old cabling that was questionably adequate to begin with.

And if anyone has tips on where to put the headlight realys, please... it's driving me nuts!

-Dave
Old 04-15-2011, 04:37 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

i would endorse this! mainly because i want one! but i agree, the family might want to be contacted at the very least...

as far as your question, can't help there, good luck!
Old 04-15-2011, 06:16 PM
catamax944
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It would be great if you could reproduce it. I have been thinking of making my own but as you i have trouble sourcing the right hardware . I would definitely be interested in one if you do it.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:26 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you decide to sell these would they be at a better price point than say the rennbay kit?
Old 04-15-2011, 07:02 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Crackership
... I have just installed what may well be the last IceShark power and ground kit roaming free...
Nope. I have one that has never been installed that will go into my track car when I find the free time.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:27 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Someone has already been making IceShark kits, and actually acquired his old stock shortly after his passing.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:54 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Someone has already been making IceShark kits, and actually acquired his old stock shortly after his passing.
well that's good to hear. I must admit that I'm somewhat relieved... A lot of work went into those and I'm not sure I could have done Dan justice
Old 04-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian A.
Nope. I have one that has never been installed that will go into my track car when I find the free time.
Cool! Now, the instructions I have don't mention it, but I would recommend keeping an Asian female with small hands around for parts of the install... I call mine "Sam" but she's not for sale perhaps a very coordinated small child will suffice...
Old 04-15-2011, 10:16 PM
bkp944
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
He goes by the user name "Robby". I bought a kit from him last year.

-Brian
Old 04-15-2011, 10:22 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In answer to your question, the relays go under the coolant expansion tank.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:55 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pontifex4
In answer to your question, the relays go under the coolant expansion tank.
Thanks for the reply,

So then I'm assuming he grabs power from the alternator instead of the battery?
Old 04-16-2011, 11:01 AM
bkp944
Intermediate

Yes, +12V comes from the alternator post. See the picture below (1987, N/A, air cleaner removed).

-Brian
Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bkp944
Yes, +12V comes from the alternator post. See the picture below (1987, N/A, air cleaner removed).

-Brian

Thanks, Brian.

Oh, how I wish you could get to the back of the alternator on a turbo without taking it out...
Old 04-23-2011, 12:34 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE

I wish this person "ROBBY" would make himself better known with a few updated posts with Light Kits For Sale. I for one would like to buy a Kit if it isn't too far off base price wise. Anyone know how to contact him?

Cheers,
Larry
Old 04-23-2011, 01:02 AM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

https://rennlist.com/forums/members/1324-robby.html

Quick Reply: IceShark headlight harness question