Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 944s exhaust screw up

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 09:56 PM
windwaiver
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 944s exhaust screw up

When I bought the car I didn't look into the headers. Who would have thought that someone put Bursch headers on a 944s. They dont fit. They don't even pretend too. After about 5k miles they started to leak around the exhaust port. Has anyone ever modified these to fit? They guy I bought it from had a shop do it! Can't believe they would assemble something with the exhaust port off that much.
Already found a set of stock manifolds from ebay for 90 buck shipped! Now I'm looking for a y pipe. On the stock replacement there are 2 cutouts one for the 02 and the other for exhaust emissions tube. Can I just weld that closed or cap it for the emissions tube?

Does the Bursch header replace the Y pipe directly, or am I going to have to adjust the placement of my cat? Kinda think so since its flanged after the header.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:42 AM
James Chimney
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed a complete Bursch exhaust, header (fit, just slid up from under neath ned gaskets x4, and easier to put manifold bolts back on then get the stock manifold bolts off), yes the header goes to the Cat pipe (eliminating the 2 into 1 pipe) I have the cat elimination pipe and the guy I bought the header from gave me a cat pipe too he made and I might put in instead of the no CAt pipe top help get rid of the "rasppyness" of the full exhaust (I will be contacting Brusch next week.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:03 PM
windwaiver
Track Day

Seems like the bolt holes on the exhaust don't line up straight across therefore causing the top of the gaskets to blow out. Original head did this and mine did too. First one to go is cyl #2. Did you cut the connectors, doesn't seem like you would get a good seal if you did.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:46 AM
windwaiver
Track Day

Found an 88 with an auto trans complete with head failure but its a base model, will the exhaust fit from the manifolds back?
Old 04-06-2011, 06:10 AM
James Chimney
Pro

Originally Posted by windwaiver
Seems like the bolt holes on the exhaust don't line up straight across therefore causing the top of the gaskets to blow out. Original head did this and mine did too. First one to go is cyl #2. Did you cut the connectors, doesn't seem like you would get a good seal if you did.
mine slid right in and lined up fine, was/is yours bent? maybe you have to take it out and find out, was the gasket new or old? I changed all 4, a new flat gasket at the header/cat pipe and re used the round beveled gasket at the cat pipe/muffler pipe, just changed out the no cat pipe with the cat pipe (installed a cat) and it helped with the rasspyness.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:35 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The exhaust for a 944S is going to be different than an N/a.

The flanges that connect to the headers are angled a different way.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:01 AM
windwaiver
Track Day

Originally Posted by James Chimney
mine slid right in and lined up fine, was/is yours bent? maybe you have to take it out and find out, was the gasket new or old? I changed all 4, a new flat gasket at the header/cat pipe and re used the round beveled gasket at the cat pipe/muffler pipe, just changed out the no cat pipe with the cat pipe (installed a cat) and it helped with the rasspyness.
Was that on the 944s? I have a spare head on the floor; they don't line up at all.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:04 AM
windwaiver
Track Day

Originally Posted by Rock
The exhaust for a 944S is going to be different than an N/a.

The flanges that connect to the headers are angled a different way.
CRAP!
Old 04-06-2011, 10:15 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Not to mention the flanges on the S head are 3 point, and the standard NA headers / turbo headers are 2 point flanges....
Old 04-06-2011, 10:33 AM
windwaiver
Track Day

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Not to mention the flanges on the S head are 3 point, and the standard NA headers / turbo headers are 2 point flanges....

Ya i have the headers its just the Y pipe back.

Quick Reply: 87 944s exhaust screw up