Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering foaming. - Problem Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 06:49 PM
Porsche16V944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering foaming. - Problem Fixed

I brought my car out of storage last night and noticed the power steering pump was making noise near full lock. Checked fluid level, it was really low (due to power steering leak... shocking) So today i searched and found out it calls for dexron ATF... called carquest, ordered some up and i sucked out all the old black fluid out of the reservoir and put in the new clean fluid.

When i started the car INSTANTLY the steering was rock hard and notchy to move. Shut off the car and heard a fuild pissing sound (like when coolant overflows), popped the hood to find this:
[URL=http://img835.imageshack.us/i/dexmercfoam.jpg/]

just POURING out of the cap overflow.

the bottle says direct replacement for dexron III... was i not supposed to use it? (obviously)

what SHOULD i buy? And whats the best way to get this all out now?

***EDIT***
Just did some more searching... and if you didnt think i was n00b enough already.. it looks like i used the right stuff, so i'm thinking i just overfilled it... Do you check the level by screwing the cap down all the way or just dipping it in?... I just dipped it in
Old 03-31-2011, 07:09 PM
PorschePower
Advanced

Your fluid is aerated. Just let it sit for a half hour or so then run it again and cycle the steering again. Turn it back off and repeat. The air will work its way out eventually, usually two or three cycles. Once you get most the air out the rest will work itself out when you drive it.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:13 PM
Porsche16V944
Racer

ya i did some searching on "power steering foaming" and say it may have air in it (which makes sense seeing as i sucked the reservoir dry) so i went out and took the cap off and it was to the brim :S ... either way i started it up and went back and forth once slowly and it sounded really bad so i stopped.... I'll go eat dinner and try it again later
Old 03-31-2011, 07:27 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its overfilled for sure.

Did you fill it with the wheels turned one way?

Leave the cap off and start turning the wheels back and fourth. Should get some nice power steering action.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:45 PM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i would drain out a bit...air may go away when it sits but you may also try lifting the front wheels and turning the steering lock to lock several times...that will clear a lot of the air...then start it up and repeat.

hope this helps
Old 03-31-2011, 08:08 PM
Porsche16V944
Racer

just went back out, started it up, instantly a noticeable difference, turn the wheels lock to lock twice and it's all good now. (and even feels nicer then before)

My driveway is fairly steep so the front was already higher.

I'm so glad it was just air.

Thanks for everyone's help!!!!

Quick Reply: Power steering foaming. - Problem Fixed