Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

balance shaft play and oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 06:56 PM
Yummybud924
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default balance shaft play and oil leak

I repalced all the oil seals at the front of the engine 5 years ago. now the top balance shaft seal is leaking not sure if it'st he O ring in the back or the seal but it's leaking onto the timing belt cover and behind the timing belt cover.

anyways I also noticed the shaft pulls in and out quite a bit...... the lower one also does this but the top balance shaft seems to have a ton of play not any side to side movement but it can be pulled out and pushed and makes a clunk sound when pulled in and out.

the engine wasn't making any funny noises when running and i'm pretty sure they had play also last time I did the belts and seals but the top balance shaft seems like it has more play.

is this normal or should i be worried?

I lost oil pressure on idle (in my garage 2 years ago) and the car idles with no pressure for a bit until I noticed and shut it off (couple minutes while i was inside). my oil pressure relief valve failed. i'm worried that the bearings may be toast but there is no side to side movement.

Quick Reply: balance shaft play and oil leak