Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mystery start problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 01:31 PM
SolReaver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relaying a suggestion

Check for fuel pump relay. Swap out with the known good spare that all owners should have with them at all times.

In Houston. PM if you get into trouble. I am a mechanic.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:45 PM
techartisan
Racer

Originally Posted by SolReaver
Check for fuel pump relay. Swap out with the known good spare that all owners should have with them at all times.

In Houston. PM if you get into trouble. I am a mechanic.
Yeah I swapped both dme relay and dme in the early stages of diagnosis as indicated in my early posts.
Thanks though I'll keep you in mind
Old 03-15-2011, 03:07 PM
techartisan
Racer

Originally Posted by Yarf
The summary of the risk associated removal of the battery lead while the engine is running is that the DME /ECU computer can be damaged due to excessive voltage, the alternator regulator design assumes that a functional battery is connected to the alternator output.
My own research after the comment in question showed this to be a very common thread of inquiry across automotive forums. Apparently this procedure was quite common before the advent of every button, bell, whistle, and bulb having a microcontroller associated with its function. Im not worried that Ive caused damage with this test as this DME is running the same as my spares but...

Ill drop the procedure from my routine.

Originally Posted by Yarf
Starting the engine many times in in secession with out letting the battery charge recover, could drain the battery and possible cause a no start condition.
while Ive depleted charge a couple of time when it was in this "fault state" trying to coax a stumble to a start.....when Ive had it running it sits that way for 15 minutes or so before I kill the engine and retry.....

Im about to dig out the ignition switch.....Im really thinking thats where the gremlin lives....
Old 03-15-2011, 04:30 PM
techartisan
Racer

The root of this evil??

Perhaps Ive found the problem....the engagement slot of the switch is wildly out of its original rectangular shape...Theres a nasty crack in the housing.....and the OHMeter has no consistency from one turn to the next across 30/50.

Hopefully this will be the end of this issue.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:46 PM
944Ross
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That could be the problem, all right!
Old 03-16-2011, 05:14 PM
techartisan
Racer

Well swapped out the switch. Cleaned every contact of the turn/wiper assembly. Cleaned up the horn contacts....

Still no manual horn actuation...no biggie.

Started up instantly on first try.....battery light was on...went out after a few moments....so I'm not entirely convinced all is well.

mystery horn on the third startup since reassembly though lol go figure.....

R turn signal previously required a slight touch as they wouldn't flash in the fully signalled position.....the cleanup fixed that.

I swapped my speedo cable while I was in there...nice to not have to speedo by phone app

I'm not sure if the gremlins gone....since it isn't an "all the time" issue ill just have to wait and see.

I still need to swing by napa and have them check the battery....its only 2yrs out of 6 on the warranty...so that shouldn't be an issue either way.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Perculator00
Instructor

I know this is old. But I am too having these hard starts. The motor is turning but no fire up. And it only happens sometimes. I get the feeling it even happens on the "sometimes" basis especially when its hot out and the car has sat for more than a few hours, but this could honestly have nothing to do with it.

Right now I have the distributor cap/rotor/ignition switch out. I was planning on putting a new cap/rotor/and wire plugs hoping my hard start problem would be solved, but then I thought about the Ignition Switch. A mechanic I know told me the ignition switch hardly ever goes bad and my issue is probably not that. Your thread has got me thinking it may be my switch after seeing that pic of yours.

Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-08-2011, 02:34 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Ignition switches DO go bad. Mine had a huge crack in it, causing, when the car was on, if I bumped the key, the radio would turn off. Going over bumps and turning on the turn signal also caused the radio to go freaky. Luckily my problem was just the radio, nothing worse... Ignition switch fixed it, and a fresh
switch gave the key-turning a smooth and fresh feel

Quick Reply: mystery start problem