Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo Engine Rebuild Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011 | 02:27 PM
jensend3
Advanced

Default Turbo Engine Rebuild Questions

So I started an engine rebuild on my 951 months ago. I took pics with a disposable camera and they suck. Now that I have money to finish this project I was hoping someone knew of a thread or a site with some good quality pics of a rebuild. Also there are certain miscellaneous bolts, like ones on the valve cover, that got stripped, broken or just need replaced. What are some good sources for engine hardware. Also is lindsey racing a good source for a rebuild kit because that is where I plan on getting everything. I plan on selecting the aftermarket glyco bearings and victor reinz gaskets including the cometic/mls style head gasket. Are these good choices too make or will I regret not going OEM.
Old 03-09-2011 | 02:36 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

For hardware, use a local hardware store. Obviously, all bolts/nuts are metric.

For diagrams, use PET and the factory service manual.

For parts, Lindsey is as good a supplier as anyone.

For the MLS head gasket, both the head and the block need to be perfectly flat - like sent out to a machine shop and surfaced type of flat. Unless you're going to go with a lot more boost than stock, stick with a wide-fire ring head gasket - cheaper and works fine.
Old 03-09-2011 | 02:41 PM
doabarrelroll
Pro

I did exactly what you are describing. I went with the Lindsey Rebuild kit and it was awesome. It's around 1k for everything.

How much of the engine are you going to rebuild and how fat is your wallet?
Old 03-09-2011 | 03:15 PM
jensend3
Advanced

I already had the block, crank and rods done at the local machine shop. I'll have the head done before it's time to install that. The motor only had 84K miles when the head blew and the cylinder walls look fine so I'm not touching that and I am re using the piston rings. I installed a LR 300 whp kit and was running are 15-16 psi. The gasket blew out a couple months later so I just want to make sure it doesn't happen again. What is PET and where can I get the factory manual, all I have is the generic manual and clarks garage. This is actually my first engine rebuild so I'm learning as I go along. We do have a local automotive hardware store so that's where I will go, I just wasn't sure if it was as easy as that. I'm in daytona beach now so there's actually a decent amount of local services available to me.
Old 03-09-2011 | 03:49 PM
adwolfe12
Racer

Found this while browsing 944 online. It might help you.

Although I think there is somewhere online where you can download the workshop manuals, but having the physical copy would be nice.

http://944online.com/cgi-bin/ASI_Sto...block-944turbo

EDIT: here is where you can download them. http://www.cannell.co.uk/Manuals.htm
Old 03-09-2011 | 03:54 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Why re-use the piston rings?
Old 03-10-2011 | 08:14 AM
jensend3
Advanced

I had a mechanic with 30 years of experience tell me not to touch the bores and to re-use the rings if there is no change to the bore. Does that sound right? Thanks for the link by the way I'm ordering that book right now.
Old 03-10-2011 | 09:26 AM
ROCS Auto Inc
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jensend3
I already had the block, crank and rods done at the local machine shop. I'll have the head done before it's time to install that. The motor only had 84K miles when the head blew and the cylinder walls look fine so I'm not touching that and I am re using the piston rings. I installed a LR 300 whp kit and was running are 15-16 psi. The gasket blew out a couple months later so I just want to make sure it doesn't happen again. What is PET and where can I get the factory manual, all I have is the generic manual and clarks garage. This is actually my first engine rebuild so I'm learning as I go along. We do have a local automotive hardware store so that's where I will go, I just wasn't sure if it was as easy as that. I'm in daytona beach now so there's actually a decent amount of local services available to me.
Replace the rings with oem, they will seat assuming the cyls are within spec...double check your ring end gaps. While you're at it do the oil pan baffle mod if you haven't yet. PET is the Porsche official catalog.
Old 03-10-2011 | 12:00 PM
jensend3
Advanced

Yeah I was going to order the baffle along with the rebuild kit. For a minute I was thinking about knife edging the crank as well but I don't think it's worth it on my budget at the moment. I will get the rings then because that logic makes sense. In spec bore should be able to run new rings so I might as well have the advantage of using new rings.
Old 03-10-2011 | 12:03 PM
jensend3
Advanced

My crank only needed polished, but the number 2 rod bearing looked as if it was cutting it close before hand. Between that and the gasket going bad I want to ensure that the next head gasket is strong and the motor gets plenty of lubrication.

Quick Reply: Turbo Engine Rebuild Questions