Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Crankshaft question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011 | 02:33 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Take it to a machine shop, and have them weld it and regrind it to spec.

Depending on the damage, it usually doesn't cost very much. Probably more than a cost of another crank...but not as much as the used crank shipped to you.
Old 02-14-2011 | 08:06 AM
hobiecat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by m73m95
Take it to a machine shop, and have them weld it and regrind it to spec.

Depending on the damage, it usually doesn't cost very much. Probably more than a cost of another crank...but not as much as the used crank shipped to you.
No...this is for a track car. While welding/regrinding it might work fine for a street car, I really need a more solid bottom-end that I won't have to worry about.

So now that I've had time to sleep on this, my other concern is HOW this happened. It doesn't appear to be oil starvation, because the thrust bearing is
severely worn ONLY on one side (the front side). The rest show what I would call normal wear....no other damage inside that I can see.

Pictures are not great....but you can clearly see the damage on the front side of the thrust bearing. Unfortunately, the crank is really bad.
You can actually feel a ridge in the journal where the bearing was digging in.

Once I get the crank out of the block, I'll take a few pics of it.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Weird Crankshaft question